Issue with 2015 Ford Explorer Key Fob | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Issue with 2015 Ford Explorer Key Fob

Steve S.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
I bought a new 2015 Ford Explorer Sport 3+ years ago - I've been using one of the two key fobs since I purchased the vehicle and the 2nd key fob has been sitting in a spare key drawer (I can't recall if I ever used it to start the vehicle). Last week I needed to let a family member use the vehicle and pulled out the spare fob. The Explorer would not start with the 2nd fob. The Explorer also didn't respond to any of the buttons (lock/unlock/tailgate/remote start).

I figured the fob battery was dead after sitting in the drawer for 3+ years and changed it. That didn't correct the problem.

I also tried putting the 2nd fob in the key programming slot in the center console (per the manual a fob with a dead battery can still start the car if it's put in the slot). That didn't work either.

Under the "MyKey" menu setting it does show that 2 admin keys are programmed on the vehicle.

The Ford dealer that I bought the vehicle from said a key fob issue is not covered by the vehicle warranty (it's past the original warranty but I have a Ford extended warranty plan). They said they can provide a new fob - the fob + programming will run $320.

Has anyone else had this type of issue? Is there any additional troubleshooting steps I can perform, or a way to confirm the fob I have is one of the 2 programmed admin keys?

Thanks!

Steve

Welcome to the Forum Steve.:wave:
I don't recall this specific issue coming up before. My 2nd set also spends most of its time (3+ years) in a drawer with just the occasional use and I've never had to replace the battery. Have you tried to see if you can unlock the doors using the door handle with that fob on you? If it doesn't allow you to open the door then it is a sign that the fob isn't being recognized at all by the vehicle. Before I'd buy a new fob I think I'd ask the dealer what they dealer charge to program just the fob you have? If they did that and the fob still doesn't work then obviously the fob is defective and may have been all along. See if they'll do that and waive that charge if you then have to buy a new fob and have it programmed.

Peter

Thanks for the welcome!

I cannot open the door with the fob on me, the push buttons (lock/unlock/remote start/tailgate) don't work, and the vehicle will not start even with the key in the slot in the center console. I figure one of two things - I've somehow had a fob that doesn't go with my vehicle all this time (I honestly can't recall if I've ever used it before, but I would think the dealer had to have showed me they both worked when I took delivery), or somehow it has failed in way the Explorer simply doesn't recognize it anymore. The "MyKey" display shows two fob are programmed, I just don't know if the second fob is the one I'm actually trying to use!

Is there any way to figure out (via serial #, unique identifier, something) if the fob is programmed to work with the Explorer? I didn't see anything obvious when going through the menus on my display.

The dealer told me the $320 was half for the new fob and half for the programming. My next step would be to call the service manage and ask nicely if they'll help troubleshoot this a bit before charging the reprogramming fee. I'm not hopeful they'll spend time trying to figure it out.

I honestly don't know if the dealer keeps a record of the keys that are for your vehicle. I'm not sure if there are records on that from the factory. If there is nothing wrong with the fob other than not being programmed for your vehicle, you shouldn't need a new one. Just requires a reprogramming to the vehicle as far as I know.

Peter

Back