Issues at initial delivery | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Issues at initial delivery

Ok, so not initial delivery but I have 3 issues so far that will need to be addressed.

1) constant whistle from front passenger side outside. Cant leave the window down because it is all you hear. I am assuming it has to do with a seal/gasket/door and/or window trim. I cant pinpoint it but is coming from the side view mirror height. I have compared the trim on both sides and noticed the passenger was folded in on a small section and I fixed it to match the drivers but it is still there.

2) rattle/vibration on passenger front door during certain songs. Clearly has to do with the amount of bass during certain songs. It isnt a blown speaker but I believe a trim piece or possible speaker cover plate

3) noticed yesterday that the 2nd row drivers seat base is all scratched from the lever to recline the seats back. There is a large white scuff mark on the black base from the handle rubbing. No way that will come out and will need to be replaced (pictures to come tonight). Seems the handle is very flimsy and when you grab it to lift up from a seated position, it can easily rub.

Did you ever resolve issue #2? Both of my speakers on driver and passenger side rattle really bad certain pitches in songs. I love listening to music but the rattle bugs the crap out of me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you ever resolve issue #2? Both of my speakers on driver and passenger side rattle really bad certain pitches in songs. I love listening to music but the rattle bugs the crap out of me!

I still have been procrastinating bringing it in. I have 7or 8 issues to address so they will have it for several days.

I've been waiting now till after this week to make an appt because I didnt want to lose it for the holidays and with the 2 week shutdown, parts are not shipping to the distribution warehouses... so if the warehouse does not have it in stock, dealers can't get parts till shipping resumes on Monday.

I still have been procrastinating bringing it in. I have 7or 8 issues to address so they will have it for several days.

I've been waiting now till after this week to make an appt because I didnt want to lose it for the holidays and with the 2 week shutdown, parts are not shipping to the distribution warehouses... so if the warehouse does not have it in stock, dealers can't get parts till shipping resumes on Monday.

Makes sense.. good thinking no point leaving your car there with no progress during the holidays. Thanks for the reply.

Here's what I've found on mine so far.
1) passenger side, rear door exterior b-pillar (black shiny trim) bowed out (as mentioned in my other thread) and rubber window trim torn. May or may not be related to a rear passenger side broken window that was replaced before the dealer took possession.

2) Raised bleb in the hatch sheet metal. Appears to have been there before paint. Doesn't really bother me since it is hardly noticeable and the paint job does not appear affected (picture pending). IMHO a fix would be worse.

2020 Ford Explorer Platinum:
Center roof console sunglass holder won't latch properly.
Black wheel well trim on passenger rear side is unclipped in one place and keeps popping out.
- Scheduled complete center roof console warranty replacement - two day job at dealer's service dept
- Scheduled black wheel well trim warranty replacement

Welcome to the Forum Tony. :wave:

Peter

Here's what I've found on mine so far.
1) passenger side, rear door exterior b-pillar (black shiny trim) bowed out (as mentioned in my other thread) and rubber window trim torn. May or may not be related to a rear passenger side broken window that was replaced before the dealer took possession.

2) Raised bleb in the hatch sheet metal. Appears to have been there before paint. Doesn't really bother me since it is hardly noticeable and the paint job does not appear affected (picture pending). IMHO a fix would be worse.

Was looking for an opportunity to complain and thank you for providing the outlet of my rage. 2020 Platinum (103 miles). It was on the showroom floor (inside the building obviously but important in a moment). Purchased it 2 ish weeks ago. Drove it for maybe 2 days. Anyway didnt think we could afford a 61k and change car so didnt even look at it other then to admire the beauty while checking out other cars.

Long story short they made us a deal due to it being a 2020 and 21s coming so we jumped on it without doing the usual walk around or even DRIVING the dam thing. Yes I am apparently not the smartest person despite believing the opposite and a car guy (1969 Mustang in the garage). We have since found out from people talking they dented and scraped the rear driver side fender pulling it into the building (metal has a semi deep dent with a chip of paint missing and the plastic surround is scratched). Did not notice as we again didn't spend any time thinking we would get the vehicle.

On top of that 1 day after the purchase it rained heavily. On the way to school there was water pouring out of the center console? on the roof between the front seats. A steady stream of water.

So they "fixed" the dent with some nail polish and someone's finger (I know it wasnt nail polish but it seriously looked like someone just put some paint on it, pressed their finger, and took 10 steps back and said all good!). So its now week 2 and still in the body shop trying to correct the issue they caused yet wont admit. No one has yet to look at the leak and what might have got damaged with all the water.

So in the end I am loving my 2020 ST. We are beyond pissed at the **** quality of the high end? line came brand new with these issues and the dealer being willing to help but not making it a priority. 10/10 Would not recommend.

I would like to give my initial impression of our 2020 ST as delivered. Our Explorer was built on 9/16/20 and was purchased on 12/4/20 with 10 miles on the odometer. This review is being written after just one tank of gas and 363 new miles. So far my wife and I haven't found anything to complain about. By our standards the initial quality is spot on. Everything we have tried has worked as expected. Fit and finish are excellent.

In my opinion, the technology in the Explorer works better than what was in my father's Lexus. Specifically the adaptive cruise control works very smoothly in the Explorer. The 2018 Lexus that I drove for a couple months would slam on it's brakes for no good reason when the cruise control was in a mode similar to the Explorers Adaptive mode. The Lexus had a following distance function which could be set, just like the Explorer does, yet no matter where it was set, it was still too aggressive on the brakes. The Lexus even slammed on the brakes hard as we were passing a car that was stopped on the shoulder, completely off the roadway.The Explorer has always braked smoothly and it has yet to brake for "ghosts". We have a lot of open highway miles between us and the closest towns so cruise control has always been important for me.

I really like the way the 10 speed automatic shifts. In Normal Mode it hits the gears right on, and rarely, if ever gets caught in the wrong gear for more than a split second. In Performance Mode it holds the gears longer allowing the turbos to spool up during part throttle driving. When you hit it, it's ready to go and go it does! I also tried Eco-Mode, but it doesn't match the way I like to drive ;)

The audio system sounds great overall, but I still wish there were more EQ controls to fine tune the subwoofer and crossover. The common audio adjustments, (bass, treble, fader, balance), should be a one touch affair, instead of being nested in the Settings menu. I guess that's my one complaint, but it's not a flaw, it was built that way.

The Explorers headlights are worth noting as well. The roads and highway that we take into town are all unlit. The normal beams on the Explorer do an excellent job of lighting the road from side to side, and for a long distance ahead. The high beams didn't seem to add much range to what is already a long throw, but it does fill in that range with a much brighter white light. The auto turnoff turned itself off just as I was reaching to turn them off manually. I was impressed with that feat.

I'll report back if there are any issues that arise while there are still very low miles on it.

Turns out our water leak was due to Ford failing to install a tube that routes water from the roof to the inside fender... 2 days for Fedex to deliver. Hope to at some point actually get to drive the flipping car.

Wow. That's kind of pathetically poor assembly.

Turns out our water leak was due to Ford failing to install a tube that routes water from the roof to the inside fender... 2 days for Fedex to deliver. Hope to at some point actually get to drive the flipping car.

Wow, did Not install a critical tube, brilliant quality check process. I am glad they at least found the problem and will be fixed soon. Make sure they check the carpet area and stuff as well and dry them well to prevent future corrosion.

That would be one of four moonroof drain tubes.

Peter

Wow, did Not install a critical tube, brilliant quality check process. I am glad they at least found the problem and will be fixed soon. Make sure they check the carpet area and stuff as well and dry them well to prevent future corrosion.

They claim to have taken the over head console off and completely dried and cleaned everything. I was slightly pissed off when I spoke with them and their resistance to do extra work for nothing but I do believe they did so. All the water that drained in as far as I know mostly landed on the all weather mats. They found nothing damp in the roof area. It will e an extremely unpleasant experience for them if it starts to smell like mold here come summer.

The A/C compressor fails to engage once the outside temp is above about 95deg F, does not matter if your driving down the road or stopped at idle. I was in town today, just up the road from the dealer when it stopped working again. Drove it to them to show them what it was doing, but the service was closed today. Anyway, got to show the issue to the floor manager who will send a note to the service manager (hopefully).

I will mention how when I got it back last time, I found Doritos chip fragments in my truck and it wasn't from me. I hate it when the service department says "hey, lets go to lunch and test drive the ST at the same time!". Not cool, literally.
Maybe it was Cool.........Ranch.

Back