• Register Today It's free!

Issues, just issues

02ExpEB4.04x4

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer EB 4x4
So when ever I have my 02 expl EB running and turn it off and pull key out of ignition. I open driver door and the radio stays on until I open another door. Also my dome light doesnt come on when I open the driver door. It does come on when I open any of the other doors. Also my front passenger door doesnt always unlock when hitting the unlock button on the key fob or on the door. My dome light buttons to manually turn them on dont work. And my Cruze control dont work but my radio controls do work on the steering wheel......

Anyone got any ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a door switch, or it’s wiring, that isn’t functional. You might want to pull the door panel and inspect the wiring near the door. It’s common for this to get damaged. This is the problem with the radio and dome light.

Does thevdone light work with the other doors?

As for the lock, you probably have a weak or sticky lock actuator.

You have a door switch, or it’s wiring, that isn’t functional. You might want to pull the door panel and inspect the wiring near the door. It’s common for this to get damaged. This is the problem with the radio and dome light.

Does thevdone light work with the other doors?

As for the lock, you probably have a weak or sticky lock actuator.

Yes lights work with the other doors. Just not the driver door. Any ideas as to why the push button on the front dome light dont work as well as my cruise control not turning on

Lights issues: Broken switch on the dome light. Broken driver's door switch or wiring fault to the driver's door switch.

CC: you're hitting "On" then "set" right? Also, you mentioned that the radio controls still work - the switch panels with the cruise on one side and the radio/climate control on the other are very prone to failure. They used the same ones on the Expedition, and of like 4 that I tested in the junkyard (explorer and expedition alike), only 1 worked.

There's a built-in test function on the car, and you can bench test the switch by testing continuity across the two outer pins as each button is pressed. Note that you'll see different resistance values across each button - this is how the switch uses 2 leads for 5 buttons - but you'll see continuity if the switch is good.

In-car Self-check
1. Begin static portion of self test by pressing and holding speed control off switch.

2. Turn ignition switch from off to run. The cruise indicator on the instrument cluster will flash once to indicate the speed control module has entered diagnostic mode.

If the cruise indicator does not flash repeat steps 1-2. If the cruise indicator still does not flash, diagnose the cruise indicator or the off switch.

3. Release the off switch

4. Within five seconds of turning the ignition switch to RUN:

Press the on switch.
Press the resume switch.
Press the coast switch.
Press the set/accel switch.

NOTE: the on switch must be pressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostics mode or the speed control module will return to normal operating state and self-test must be repeated.

The cruise indicator will flash when each switch is pressed. While performing self test. Press each switch in the order described while observing cruise indicator for a flash. Note any switch activations that does not cause a flash; that switch has failed the test and the whole switch assembly needs to be replaced (they can be disassembled and cleaned, but this only has about a 10% sucess rate. They are cheap enough at JYs to justify just buying a replacement.).

Flash Code Function Tested Possible Cause
0 Speed Control Servo Speed Control Servo Defective
1 Complete System
2 Stop Light Switch Circuitry Stop Light Switch Circuitry
3 Brake Deactivation Circuitry Brake pressure control
valve defective circuitry
4 Vehicle speed sensor Vehicle Speed Sensor Out of
range
5 Speed Control Servo Speed Control servo defective

Lights issues: Broken switch on the dome light. Broken driver's door switch or wiring fault to the driver's door switch.

CC: you're hitting "On" then "set" right? Also, you mentioned that the radio controls still work - the switch panels with the cruise on one side and the radio/climate control on the other are very prone to failure. They used the same ones on the Expedition, and of like 4 that I tested in the junkyard (explorer and expedition alike), only 1 worked.

There's a built-in test function on the car, and you can bench test the switch by testing continuity across the two outer pins as each button is pressed. Note that you'll see different resistance values across each button - this is how the switch uses 2 leads for 5 buttons - but you'll see continuity if the switch is good.

In-car Self-check

Gotcha awesome thanks. I will definitely check into it sometime this week.

Back