Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '93 Limited
Hey all,

I got a couple of questions about my Explorer I need answered.

First off my brakes a giving me a real pain. When ever I push them first they hold then gradually lose power until I am at the point of the "pedal to the metal". This greatly concerns me. I had my dad push the brakes while I checked the brake fluid holder and there were no leaks. I do get a hissing sound from the Master Brake Cylinder.

Next up I have only one window that works (its a 4-door) and thats the drivers'. The passenger one works but it gets off track every time you lower it. The issue here is the idiot who replaced the motors last time in that door didn't put all the screws back and practically ripped the door panel off. With this carelessness one of the screws is gone for the front brace on the window (Marked in Red)
_|B|_____ |B|_|
=============
\\ // <--Frame attached to motor
\\ //

(B) Bolt/Brace

I have no idea how to get to it to fix or find the bolt to replace the one missing.

And lastly, my a/c blower. It decides now when it wants to come on, sometimes it will work, other times not. When its on though it works Lo through Hi, no issues.

I would really appreciate your help guys.

Thanks in advance...
The Q

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're hearing a hissing on the booster, its leaking and needs to be replaced.

The window issues I can't really help with. I've rebuild the motor drives with the bushing kits before, but that's the extent of my knowledge. I've got one with a frayed cable that I'm sure is going to break soon.

hi and welcome to the forum

sounds like ya need a master cylinder Q.

About the window track, I'd prolly take a trip to a junk yard.. not so much for the bolt type, which could be hashed out at the hardware store, but just to compare other interconnected stuff.

The blower motor could have a few different issues.. Id check the wiring at the motor first, other connections second. Might just be time for a blower motor though.

These are just my experiences with such things, others will hopefully chime in.

Welcome aboard!

The hissing sound should be coming from the brake booster that the master cylinder is attached to, not the master cylinder itself. A leaking booster will give you brake problems, and it becomes a vacuum leak that will make your truck idle funny. Make sure that's were its leaking and replace it first.

check the electrical connector going into the blower housing. You could have some corroded pins/terminals there.

The hissing sound should be coming from the brake booster that the master cylinder is attached to, not the master cylinder itself. A leaking booster will give you brake problems, and it becomes a vacuum leak that will make your truck idle funny. Make sure that's were its leaking and replace it first.

Good post.

I'm thinking about a short hissing sound that stops after the petal gets to the floor... which would be brake fluid leaking ("hissing") past the seals in the master cylinder, allowing the fluid out of the line side back into the reservoir.

The window and window motors are to terribly hard to remove/replace. As someone else said, head out to the junkyard. There you can 1. See how it's supposed to be and 2. Get what you need.

Also, if the others aren't working, might be the bearings in them, but I'm not sure. Take a look at this thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145469

Thanks for your help guys,

UPDATE: Apparently it is the master brake cylinder :( , but fortunately it will only cost me $225 (phew).

I am going to look over those connections to the blower motor and also check the relays. As for the window, I am not looking forward to opening that Pandora's Box (shiver), but I will need to get it take care of soon. The back windows seem to just have electrical issues, apparently there is no power getting to the motor. This is from my observation, but I will still need to get a voltmeter and check the switches anyway, just to confirm.

Another question...how do I get that stupid dinging to shut off when the door is open? It is driving me nuts.

Thanks guys,

oh and BTW the Q-mobile:
IMG_2497.jpg

Nice ride Q. Looks exactly like mine. Whats yer color code?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199651

Hope you get things figured out. I've been lucky with my windows but I do have the blower motor intermittent deal. I changed all the fuses and swapped relays and same thing. Time to dig into it more.

EG Elec Currant Red C/C

Another question...how do I get that stupid dinging to shut off when the door is open? It is driving me nuts.

Pull Fuse #14 (done courtesy lamp from the box near the e-brake). This will kill power to the dome light(s) which is causing the door open reminder chime to activate.

Fuse diagram

0900823d800ba8f4.jpg

Under the dash, on the right of the driver's side, there is a small black box with a connector that has a few pins (its right down at the bottom). It's the door chime module, if you unplug it, it doesn't chime anymore :) I'm guessing you want to do that because it chimes even with the key out...

If it chimes no matter what even if the key is out, try playing with the metal part (finger tabs) of the lock cylinder if its loose... it should stop. Replacing the lock will stop it from doing that, the finger tabs thing is not supposed to be loose, it just gets that way. Or get used to centering it when you get out of the car...

Next time the blower starts giving you trouble, wiggle the blower switch and move it through a few different settings, to see if it has any effect. It is a common failure item.

Next time the blower starts giving you trouble, wiggle the blower switch and move it through a few different settings, to see if it has any effect. It is a common failure item.

Did that already. I don't think it is the issue. I'll bet anything its under the hood.

$225 for a master cylinder!??!!!?!?!?!!?!?! They're like $60 bucks from Autozone!

Thanks for your help guys,

UPDATE: Apparently it is the master brake cylinder :( , but fortunately it will only cost me $225 (phew).

I am going to look over those connections to the blower motor and also check the relays. As for the window, I am not looking forward to opening that Pandora's Box (shiver), but I will need to get it take care of soon. The back windows seem to just have electrical issues, apparently there is no power getting to the motor. This is from my observation, but I will still need to get a voltmeter and check the switches anyway, just to confirm.

Thanks guys,

oh and BTW the Q-mobile:
IMG_2497.jpg

NICE, 1gen x in the foreground and 3gen ex in the background. Nice clear coat, I can see the reflection of the Grand Voyager!

The gold pin stripes looks great too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could also try to bleed the brake lines, replacing the old fluid with new. When brake fluid is left open to the air, it absorbs moisture out of the air, and makes the brake fluid less effective.

Back