Issues with cold (single digit temps) affecting clutch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Issues with cold (single digit temps) affecting clutch

GremlinExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Has anyone had any issues with the cold temps causing issues with the clutch on a manual transmission?

I have a 99 explorer sport with a 5 spd manual transmission, and when it gets really cold out, my clutch pedal goes straight to the floor and it act's like the slave cylinder is out (with the break and clutch pedal pressed to the floor, I start it and it tries to take off on me)

One of my Jeep buddies said that a seal is contracting to the point of causing a leak, any guesses as to which seal it might be and if they make an "all weather" seal for it?

Ok, so...a little clarification with this...Talked to a local mechanic shop and they advised it's either going to be the clutch master, slave, or the hose between them...the slave was replaced within the last 2 years...any ideas how difficult it is to replace the master?

My clutch is definitely affected by very cold startups. It tends to engage faster and lower in the pedal for the first few shifts. But I don't have any problem with the pedal going right to the floor.

It sounds like you either have a bad master or have air still trapped in the line, which may still be hanging around from the slave replacement. I'm assuming this uses the same system as the Ranger, which is notoriously hard to bleed fully. The master is easy to change. Try to find a vacuum or pressure bleeder to do the line.

after the replacement of the slave we had to bleed the clutch several times...and didn't have any problems with it until this most recent cold snap (temperatures staying in the single digits to low teens for a couple days at a time) might have to check with a couple of friends about the bleeder systems

Back