Issues with FORScan in 2018 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Issues with FORScan in 2018 Explorer Sport

JRV1631

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Wylie SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
I've used FORScan to make mods in my 2016 SHO. Deleted the double horn, added the AWD gauge, changed the half stock flash count to 4, etc. But it's been about a year. So, when it came time to make some mods in my 2018 Explorer Sport, I went through a "how to" tutorial on the taurusclub.com site as a refresher. I saw there was a new version of FORScan out so I updated that, acquired a new extended license, and added that as well. Ready to go. I used the same computer and adapter that I used on the SHO. The ignition in the Explorer is a little different than the SHO. There is only one position beyond off. So, It's either full accessory and on, or it's off. The SHO has two stages. Accessory, On and then off.

When I attempted to make the connection the adapter was recognized. But then that was it. I kept getting an error message. Screen shot below. Any thoughts? Am I missing a step in the Explorer?

It let me paste a photo and showed it in the preview...but then dropped it in the post. Basically it says “unable to connect. Make sure ignition is on and try again”

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there supposed to be a screenshot posted? If you have an Elite Explorer membership then you can post directly from your device, although I'm not sure if it will do what you are attempting.
The keyed ignition has the 2 stage accessory mode. The push-button start does not, as you discovered.

Peter

Ok, that explains the picture. As I mentioned it let me see it in the preview. And membership in the SHO and Taurus forums permits photo posting. I take note of the X forum requirements. Thank you.

That’s interesting that the push button ignition on the X doesn’t have 2 stage accessory mode. It does on the SHO. So many similarities, yet still so different.

Tried with a different adaptor. No difference. I know you’re not supposed to start the vehicle when you’re doing this. What am I missing?

One push with the start button is all you need.

I am made numerous changes in my 18 with no issues.

Make sure the drivers are up to date. Weird scenario I had: on my daughter's computer, I had a hell of a time getting the obd adaptor to work. Wouldn't read all modules, took me about 2 hours to figure it out. That computer was a few years old. On my wife's new Dell, once I plugged the obd adaptor into the port and into the computer, it read all modules without any problems. Go figure. You only push the "start" button once on an 18 explorer.

After the replies from MM07 and san~man I was more convinced than ever it was user error. Indeed it was. It was a combination between the adapter plug not being inserted firmly enough and and an issue with my software update. All is well now. Thank you for your assistance.

So how where the changes? What did you do?

The most popular are:
Horn honk
Change turn signal flashes
Police mode (need fob to get out of park)
Engine motor noise off
Reverse mirror tilt
Concurrent high beam
Fog light memory

I did the double horn honk. Drives me crazy. The concurrent high beam and half stalk flash to 4.
What’s the engine noise off? Of all the ones listed I have to say I have never heard of that one!

I did the double horn honk. Drives me crazy. The concurrent high beam and half stalk flash to 4.
What’s the engine noise off? Of all the ones listed I have to say I have never heard of that one!
The 2020 ST has Engine Sound Enhancement in Sport mode and it is piped in through the speakers. I have not found anything similar in the 2018 Manual.

Peter

Thanks for the clarification peterk9.

I was interested in the reverse mirror tilt. I looked into in on the online spreadsheet “FORScan 2011-2019 Explorers” Shows “Last updated 10/8/19”. It’s on the “common” tab but has the notation, after noting calibration needed, “Not recommended/may cause issues”. Overly cautious? If it makes san~man’s most popular list I suppose many have done it and come away unscathed.

Proceed with confidence?

JRV1631, you could try it...

My mirrors move in anyway and I'm content with that.

I don't really see the requirement for the mirror tilt when you can get this for a few dollars while maintaining the regular view. Have put one on each side of every vehicle I have ever owned.

Peter

PB080258a.jpg

The 2020 ST has Engine Sound Enhancement in Sport mode and it is piped in through the speakers. I have not found anything similar in the 2018 Manual.

Peter
2018 has the fake noise.

Thanks for the clarification peterk9.

I was interested in the reverse mirror tilt. I looked into in on the online spreadsheet “FORScan 2011-2019 Explorers” Shows “Last updated 10/8/19”. It’s on the “common” tab but has the notation, after noting calibration needed, “Not recommended/may cause issues”. Overly cautious? If it makes san~man’s most popular list I suppose many have done it and come away unscathed.

Proceed with confidence?

The only hassle with the mirror tilt is setting it up. Also, they don't automatically tilt down, you have to throw it in R, then select a mirror to tilt downward. Both sides won't tilt together, it's either R or L side.

The only hassle with the mirror tilt is setting it up. Also, they don't automatically tilt down, you have to throw it in R, then select a mirror to tilt downward. Both sides won't tilt together, it's either R or L side.

Thanks for all of the information. I was thinking the mirrors would both tilt down upon putting it in reverse.

But now that the fogs are concurrent with high beams I’ll have to put LED’s in the high beam’ s and lose the OEM halogens. I thought that was kind of unusual. LED’s low and fog. Then halogen for high beam? Then I found out they were 9005’s When I bought the X I sold my son my showroom shape 2001 Tahoe. I also gave him four sets of Piaa extreme white 9005’s that fit the Tahoe. I really didn’t expect the X to have the same high beams! Had I known I would have given him 2 sets!

Any suggestions on 9005 LED’s that work well in the X?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back