Issues with my 2000 Limited AWD V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Issues with my 2000 Limited AWD V8

The Captain

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer PI
Hello, I haven't posted anything on the forum for a long time. I've owned 3 Explorers a 92 XLT, 1996 V8 2wd XLT, and now I bought myself a 2000 Limited V8 AWD. So I have experience with basically all types of Explorer classes.

Bought my Limited about 3 months ago. Pretty clean had only 140k miles. Checked all the known Explorers quirks as you all know. Tranny good, ties ok, motor ok (does have a little cam slap), interior amazing.

Since I used to own a V8 Explorer I did my standard light upgrading. MAC Intake manifold, new wires, plugs. Well I wanted great quality stuff so I bought that Screamin Demon kit with the Live Wire plug wires. Amazing stuff. So I installed them on and with new Mortorcraft Platinum spark plugs. Everything placed correctly mind you since I used to re-arrange wires like crazy on my old v8 because I put the Torque Monster Headers on it so I know what I'm doing;).

Reconnected the battery did the look around check and made sure everything was installed yadda yadda. Turn the car on. Car won't start to fire? Car is starting and did the plug spark test while turning the car on but the car won't run. Checked everything again even put wires again to make sure. Then as I checked the fuse box in the motor bay I noticed the fuel pump fuse poped out? Strange? Is this a safety feature on the newer explorers? Anyways car started right up but it still didn't sound right. But then evens out after a while. hmm

Anyways have been driving for a bit but the upgrade seems to be worse than with the stock stuff? I'm getting 15MPG on the freeways and 13 city. Also the car has no balls? It ran a little better when it had its old used stuff.

But there is no check engine light? I don't think its the coil or the wires? But could this be a plug thing? Or a vacuum issues or maybe a fuel thing?

I have no idea why my explorer is acting so crappy. But it still drives ok.

Idea's?

Were the spark plugs pre gapped? If the gap is off any in the slightest, ford motors will act funny. Also, i think the fuse issue is unrelated to everything else, although i personally have never seen one 'jump out'

Do you have access to any ford diag equipment? The next step would be to do whats called a power balance test, which monitors each cylinder and see's if one is dropping in power output. I would also perform a compression/leak down test. test the fuel rail pressure. should be 35-45 psi with the key cycled on about 3 times (but engine not running)

Do these tests if possible and report back

I did a sea foam bomb on mine, it went from 13-16 to 16-19.

Back