• Register Today It's free!

Issues With Not Starting

BlindFaith429

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Ford Escape Sport
I bought a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport to drive as a work-beater while the wife gets to drive the nicer Escape.

Been having some issues recently with the Explorer not starting. The Explorer is a 5-speed stick, with the overhead valve V6, and roughly 170,000 on it. It runs and drives great, just not the prettiest car in the lot (little rust on the rockers).

So what's been happening is that I get in, push the clutch and brake petal in, and then turn the key. Sometimes it will start, sometimes not. When it doesnt start, all the lights come on on the dash, and it doesnt turn over. It acts the same way as if I try to start the explorer without having the clutch petal in.

I notice it does it more often after it rains. I have to jiggle the key, press and release the clutch petal a few times, and try turning the key off and on a few times, then it starts.

I did a little research on the issue, but the only thing I found was people with automatic transmissions having the same issue, and the recommended fix was that the neutral sensor was bad and to start the explorer in neutral rather than park.

With this in mind, I tried to start the explorer with the stick in between gears (with the clutch still pushed in) and the same thing, which makes me think that's not it.

It is almost like the sensor / switch, that tells the computer that the clutch it pressed, is going bad.

During a warm, dry week, I have no issues at all. Starts right up.

But after a rain storm, that next morning it might have issues. Doesn't always do it after rain, but the chances of it happening are higher after rain.

Anybody know where I should start to look or what to replace? I'm hoping it's a simple fix.

Thanks!

Assuming that your battery terminal connections are clean, start with replacing the following part, since you have a LOT of cycles on the following electrical switch :)

OK - I jumped on Rock Auto's website, and entered your vehicle parameters to find the safety start switch:

Main Category: Electrical Switch & Relay

Sub Category: Clutch Pedal Position / Starter Safety Switch

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 6M1 Price $19.69
6M1__ra_p.jpg

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1S5331 Price $24.79
1S5331__ra_p.jpg

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # NS147 Price $30.79
NS147photo%20primary__ra_p.jpg

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: F4091862835D8D
Expires: 7/15/2015

Hope this helps and let us know -

PS - Atta' boy points for listing ALL your vehicle parameters;
i.e. specific engine, transmission, and current mileage!

Well, last night was a doosie. Had major thunderstorms in the area. Went out this morning and explorer didn't want to start. Had to get a ride from the wife. :(

On the way home, I picked up the switch from the local auto parts store. Got home and put it in. First try, started fine. YAY! :D

I decided to try it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Second try gave me a no-start. G*d d**m it :mad:

Tried a few more times and finally got it started. Drove it over to my parents to see if my dad had any ideas. He is a mechanic for a living and a damp good one.

He looked at the switch, made sure I put it in right (which I did). Checked the plugs and the battery terminals for anything obvious. No luck.

So then he pops open the relay box on the driver side fender and starts messing with things as I'm in the car. He says "try it now". This time yielded the motor turning over, but not starting. I scratch my head. I get out and look. He switched a couple of the little cube relays, and we were able to isolate the bad one. Turns out it was a relay that was going bad.

Luckily, he had one on hand in his drawers of parts and we plugged it in. Started right up. Turned it off and tried again, started again. Did it a few more times with the same results. Finally fixed lol.

Sorry for the long winded story lol. Got it all fixed, turned out to be a relay.

Your old man has skills - he's got my thumbs up!

Congrats and thanks for closing the circle!

Back