• Register Today It's free!

Issues with our new 2016 Explorer

bobbyg1949

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Olds. Intrigue
We picked up our 2016 Explorer last week Wed. 2/14. Terrible weather, didn't take the Explorer out for 2 days due to winter storm. We finally took it out 3 days later and heard air leaks from the middle passenger side. Also the drivers door doesn't close easily like the other 3 doors plus the tailgate interior had rings around it, and dirty. We took the car in to the dealership since we had a week to provide them any issues. Our salesman called and said we can't see any issues. Really???? We are going to go back in tomorrow and talk with our salesman. If they cannot hear, cannot see those issues then we are taking the Explorer back. Not spending that kind of money when we have 3 issues that the dealer could fix easily but apparently they want their Explorer back. We are furious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We picked up our 2016 Explorer last week Wed. 2/14. Terrible weather, didn't take the Explorer out for 2 days due to winter storm. We finally took it out 3 days later and heard air leaks from the middle passenger side. Also the drivers door doesn't close easily like the other 3 doors plus the tailgate interior had rings around it, and dirty. We took the car in to the dealership since we had a week to provide them any issues. Our salesman called and said we can't see any issues. Really???? We are going to go back in tomorrow and talk with our salesman. If they cannot hear, cannot see those issues then we are taking the Explorer back. Not spending that kind of money when we have 3 issues that the dealer could fix easily but apparently they want their Explorer back. We are furious.

I call BS on this and smell buyer's remorse. Looks like you wish you hadn't bought an Explorer. Maybe they'll give you back your Olds!

Yeah, I'm also experiencing issues with mine; but are minor IMO and will be addressed accordingly.
Seems you are regretting your purchase and just looking for a way out.

I agree with the two posts above. Those issues sound very minor, if non-existent.

If the door is hard to close, is it misaligned or?

If there's are air leaks, go on a ride with one of the service techs or salesmen so they can confirm it.

Rings around the tail gate interior. Are you talking about where the rubber stops meet at the bottom? That should be normal.

The Explorer is a very good vehicle. If you are indeed having buyer's remorse, I suggest you give it some time.

I won't go as far as the prior posters, but really? 3 small issues and you are furious? If you go back to the dealership, demonstrate your issues, and they are significant - then you can be irritated. Furious should wait til after a significant issue is not fixed in a reasonable amount of time.

I have found that the doors on almost all new vehicles are harder to close due to the vehicles being so much tighter. If two doors are open and you close one that is easy. Close one door or the last door if more than one was open and you have to give it a more ooomph.

I have noticed the doors on the explorer being more difficult to close, but its due to a brand new truck having a good amount of quality insulation/weather stripping in the door jam area.

My wind/road noise is basically non-existent. I have had several compliments on how quiet and smooth the truck rides.

I have noticed the doors on the explorer being more difficult to close, but its due to a brand new truck having a good amount of quality insulation/weather stripping in the door jam area.

My wind/road noise is basically non-existent. I have had several compliments on how quiet and smooth the truck rides.

I have been absolutely blown away with how quiet our Explorer is. It is an order of magnitude quieter than my Cadillac, which admittedly is more sport oriented, but still...

I have been absolutely blown away with how quiet our Explorer is. It is an order of magnitude quieter than my Cadillac, which admittedly is more sport oriented, but still...

I find it to be kind of noisy. However, since I'm in a rural area I spend most of mine time going at least 45mph & rarely stopping so it's like always highway driving. Y'all find it quiet even at highway speeds?

Mine is very quite...Road noise at times due to bad roads uneven surfaces...

Mine is very quiet overall as well, often "is it running?" is a thought that goes thru my mind (I KNOW it is, but smooth and quiet)

My 2014 has 68k and I have friends tell me when they have ridden with me for the first time they can't believe how quite and comfortable the new Explorer is.

No matter if you buy a BMW..or a Kia...you will have minor issues no matter what. Those sound very very minor. Why not try bringing it to another dealer before you give it back? Like others said just seems like a way out

My ex is actually pretty noisy. I bought new tires with a more aggressive tread than the sport tires that came on it..but i am use to it by now

My '15 XLT is extremely quiet and I'm very satisfied with it's ride quality.

When it comes to rattles, squeaks, or strange sounds, I have the hearing of a moth (moths have the best hearing in all of the animal and human kingdom). I drive my wife crazy when I mention a squeak or slight noise. She says it's a sickness with me.

So far I have had none of that with the Explorer....and I bought it used with 29,000 miles already on it.

If it's not buyers remorse, definitely take it to the dealer and show them exactly what you're talking about. There's been many times when I insisted that the service manager go with me on a test drive so they know exactly what noise, or problem, I'm bringing it in for.

Mike

I had an issue with my tail gate not locking unless if I slammed the bejesus out of it. It corrected itself after about a month later which unfortunately was right before the service appt I had scheduled to have it looked at and right after I finally put a dent in the tailgate from shove slamming it so many times *doh*

My front passenger door is also temperamental few weeks after having it all of a sudden it won't close unless if I give it a little extra oomph, no big deal I'm used to it by now only problem is that when I'm in my wife's outlander now I slam the hell out of her doors/tailgate and she does not dig it :-( besides the ridiculously tight footwell I love it which is surprising becauce I've long been unapologetically a ford hater, Toyota lover and this is my first American vehicle ever.

......We took the car in to the dealership since we had a week to provide them any issues. Our salesman called and said we can't see any issues. Really???? We are going to go back in tomorrow and talk with our salesman........

I see one issue, if there are problems with the vehicle, you should have the service department look at it, not the salesman...

My '15 XLT is extremely quiet and I'm very satisfied with it's ride quality.

When it comes to rattles, squeaks, or strange sounds, I have the hearing of a moth (moths have the best hearing in all of the animal and human kingdom). I drive my wife crazy when I mention a squeak or slight noise. She says it's a sickness with me.

So far I have had none of that with the Explorer....and I bought it used with 29,000 miles already on it.

Mike

I also am sensitive to rattles, etc. I periodically drive without the stereo just to see if I hear anything. So far so good.

The Explorer is very quiet, particularly on highways (except concrete roads where its always noisy from the tires). It's the best thing I like about it (and the super comfortable seats). I found it is as quiet as my friend's BMW and Audi.

I took some friends (2 other couples for a total of 6 people) out the other night to go to dinner and I heard nothing but great feedback on how nice the EXP was. They could not believe it was a Ford, as my friends only drive Mercedes, BMW, and Audi. The liked the fact that you could get 6 adults in there comfortably. They were especially blown away by how quiet the vehicle was during driving.

Other comments were around the climate control and the audio systems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please explain what this means?
I'll hazard a guess he means wind noise from the 2nd row passenger side door/window.:dunno:

Peter

Back