Issues with Sony control panel

Yeagert

Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Hey everyone,

I have a 2014 Explorer Limited with the Sony sound system and control panel. All of the sudden, it started acting very strange. It would automatically click down to the lower temperature for the driver's side, and it activates and deactivates the cabin heat or A/C about every 20 seconds. Most of the buttons on the sony panel stopped working, but the A/C button, passenger side heat + button works and the fan + button works. The scroll knob in the middle works as well. Everything else does not function and I have the strange phantom activations of the heat and the temp - button. I checked fuses, disconnected the battery for a few hours, but that is about as far as I know to check. My local dealerships never do any diagnostics, they just replace everything and I'd like to avoid that, if possible. Any ideas? I appreciate your help!

-Jeff

Welcome to the Forum Jeff. :wave:
Unfortunately, intermittent electrical problems are one of the more difficult issues to track down. I wonder if it could be a grounding issue?
Perhaps a bad control module of some type? APIM? Having disconnected the battery would have been much the same as doing the MFT Master Reset so that didn't help.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Jeff. :wave:
Unfortunately, intermittent electrical problems are one of the more difficult issues to track down. I wonder if it could be a grounding issue?
Perhaps a bad control module of some type? APIM? Having disconnected the battery would have been much the same as doing the MFT Master Reset so that didn't help.

Peter
Yeah. bummer. I think I'm just giving up and taking it to the dealer at this point

Yeah. bummer. I think I'm just giving up and taking it to the dealer at this point
Good luck and please report back.

Peter

Back