• Register Today It's free!

IT CAUGHT FIRE!!

wilpetty

Reaction score
City, State
austin tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xlt
I was finishing fixing the timing on my explorer. Put everything back together and went to startup....ran terrible...forgot the tube that goes into the rear driver side of intake manifold. Stuck my finger in it and it smoothed out and sounded great. Removed intake manifold and put that hose back on but forgot to connect another vacuum hose. Started up the car and got super high idle ~4k. Ran to front to see what was up and had a large backfire with a spark from fuel injector #1 area and it caught fire. Stayed on fire for like 5 minutes until I found a fire extinguisher.

what all looks burnt to you guys? Plug wires are toast, Throttle body damaged, but harness for fuel injectors don’t look harmed.

C0126DB0-FE32-429F-8A81-81DA7EF3EC1C.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was finishing fixing the timing on my explorer. Put everything back together and went to startup....ran terrible...forgot the tube that goes into the rear driver side of intake manifold. Stuck my finger in it and it smoothed out and sounded great. Removed intake manifold and put that hose back on but forgot to connect another vacuum hose. Started up the car and got super high idle ~4k. Ran to front to see what was up and had a large backfire with a spark from fuel injector #1 area and it caught fire. Stayed on fire for like 5 minutes until I found a fire extinguisher.

what all looks burnt to you guys? Plug wires are toast, Throttle body damaged, but harness for fuel injectors don’t look harmed.

View attachment 178358
Scary! Sounds like the the gas line connector was not properly connected. Triple check this before you restart!

whenever you mess with fuel rail or lines always check for fuel leaks before you bump the starter

good idea to have extinguisher handy too

before you do anything, rinse all of that dry chem off and blow out your alternator with compressed air. That stuff will corrode everything...

Update: New intake manifold, throttle body, wiring harness, thermostat housing, vacuum lines, and spark plug wires, and it's like it never happened lol. Turns out that I did not tighten camshaft bolt on bank 1, causing the rough conditions. I am about to start it up again tomorrow...Hopefully it runs right:banghead:I know that it runs, since I put all of the new(from junkyard) parts on and it still ran horrible, until I tore it all the way down again and found the issue. I'll post a pic of engine bay later.

Back