It gets down to this - Sell or fix 2002 w/ 5R55W? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

It gets down to this - Sell or fix 2002 w/ 5R55W?

EasyRhino

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua, Hawai'i
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited 4.6L 4x4
2002 Limited V8 4WD bought new, now at 105K miles. Never abused, well-maintained, never towed or seriously off-roaded. Although I have had few problems of note (okay, maybe more that normal for a 100K car), I am afraid of the tranny (been reading hear for 9+ years).

A few months ago it started shuddering in first and reverse, and at first only under load (I have a very steep driveway). Original thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271889

Now it is getting progressively worse; but, to date the only thing is does wrong is the first/reverse thing. All other shifts and lock-ups are fine and there is no noise. My problem is not wanting to but 3K into this thing if the tranny fails since the vehicle is not worth very much at its age.

My review of the 5R55W shows no band adjust for 1st/reverse (and is a double wrap band) and no external servos for the 1st/reverse band (but apparently a servo some where inside the case for this).

Given no other problems and certainly not the typical ones, I'm thinking that none of the usual fixes apply (e.g solenoid block, servo bores, etc).

I'm thinking that either to try to find and fix the 1st/reverse servo and/or rebuild the valve body.

If not that, then sell the truck. Anybody with insight to this problem? I would love this truck to go another 20K miles or so.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Updating my own thread after searching through and reviewing every thread on 5R55Ws: I have no codes (and have never had any codes or flashing OD light) and the fluid level is recently checked SAT by me (after having the tranny flushed) for which the reciept indicated Mercon V.

I'm lost as to what to check or replace.

In order to get to the reverse servo, you need to drop the pan. Its held in by 4 bolts.

In order to get to the reverse servo, you need to drop the pan. Its held in by 4 bolts.

So do you recommend that I replace that servo unit? That seems do-able. I have never heard of that unit failing in the 5R55W unlike the solenoid pack or the two external servos.

Take it out and inspect it at least. The part is like $20. O ring is like $3. Put a drain plug on the pan as well...

ADD: This servo controls the low/reverse...

Take it out and inspect it at least. The part is like $20. O ring is like $3. Put a drain plug on the pan as well...

ADD: This servo controls the low/reverse...

Since I'm into this thing for 8 years so far and do not wish to make a habit out of tranny work, I'm considering doing the first/reverse servo, the separator plate/gasket, the valve body rebuild/shift kit, and replacing the solenoid block (in addition to replacing the filter and fluid).

Can you get the servo at a Ford dealership?

I got all my stuff off ebay. I bought my servos (intermediate,OD, low/reverse) and o-rings from seller ct powertrain- great guy to deal with. If u do go with him, let him know "fordbronco1" said "whats up". I also purchased my new valve body off ebay for a great price. There are other distributors here that I would have gone with, but I was and still am strapped for cash- hence, my reasoning for going the ebay route...

ADD: My new valve body came with new solenoids and EPC as well. I opted a whole new VB for fear of a warped VB and excessive runout in the bores...

I got all my stuff off ebay. I bought my servos (intermediate,OD, low/reverse) and o-rings from seller ct powertrain- great guy to deal with. If u do go with him, let him know "fordbronco1" said "whats up". I also purchased my new valve body off ebay for a great price. There are other distributors here that I would have gone with, but I was and still am strapped for cash- hence, my reasoning for going the ebay route...

ADD: My new valve body came with new solenoids and EPC as well. I opted a whole new VB for fear of a warped VB and excessive runout in the bores...

Thanks for all the help, Iron Man:thumbsup:.

No prob ER, drop the pan and see what you find. If its just clutch sediment, then take off the servos and inspect for brittle or broken parts of the servo. Also inspect the servo bores to make sure there arent any deep scratches etc. If there are metal chunks in the pan, that would be a bad sign ;o

p.s. Brake cleaner is your friend...

Back