Its bad for your car to let it idle in the morning? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!
    If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Its bad for your car to let it idle in the morning?

MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
spindlecone said:
On 35 deg mornings, this past week, my scangauge reports open loop for about 5 secs, than it will report closed loop.
Heated sensors come up to full temp (600/650 degs) in no less than 10/15 secs in any cold clime

Well there we have it then.

Myth busted.

Thanks Spindle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chew_12

Working
Reaction score
City, State
Chandler, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
MONMIX said:
Well there we have it then.

Myth busted.

Thanks Spindle

Myth busted as in you dont need to let your engine warm up for it to run the best?

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
If you don’t care about your car, think about the air that your family, your pets, and your neighbors have to breathe. If you have any concern whatsoever about their health, you’ll change what you’re doing. If you don’t care about your car or other people, you might consider how much money you’re wasting in gasoline by letting your car idle. If none of this matters to you, nothing I or anyone else has to say is likely to make any difference in the way you behave.

The guy is an enviro nut...

witchdoctor

Gringorican
Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport, 02 Triumph S4
imho although it may not be necessary to warm up your truck, i think it does not hurt it either. i used to live in puerto rico, where i slept in my truck at the beach several times, letting it run all night so i could use the a/c, because the mosquitoes won't allow you to leave the windows open. now i use my remote start to let the heater warm up the truck in the morning. all together in 7 years i've never had a problem.

spindlecone

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
Chew_12 said:
Myth busted as in you dont need to let your engine warm up for it to run the best?
Chew it's common sense that one should not beat a cold engine, but it only takes a minute or two of getting on the road, all the reciprocating engine componants will be up to temp.
And Rick, Ya the guys an enviro nut, maybe we need more like him, maybe we need a big push to get into saving gas and reduce hydrocarbons, reduce our dependancy on the Arabs oil.
Again, other than the comfort factor, do's it do any good to burn a few OZs of gas to warm up your car in the morning

ryf

Reaction score
City, State
Portsmouth, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT 4x4
gas or diesel we don't shut off trucks at work, period, they are all fords (that are van/truck based) they run at idle at least 20% of an 8 hour day if we are busy.

now there's two side notes, we use alot of electric pump lifts, lights and everything else, so constantly recharging bats, and patient comfort is vital when dealing with sick people, so heat in the winter and A/C in the summer is a MUST. I was in a truck yesterday thats been running that way for 360,000 miles, and you could add another 60k in idle on the motors....

I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but we run the crap out of them the rest of the day, and they keep going (knock on wood)

Chew_12

Working
Reaction score
City, State
Chandler, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Yea I do believe the part about letting your car idle kills them is BS

99SportX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ex & Mounty
If idling killed engines, then a lot of cop car engines wouldn't last very long around here.

I think the main reasoning behind that long email was for environmental reasons. I don't enjoy letting my vehicle run a long time to warm up, because I don't have a problem driving in a fur bomber hat and wearing gloves. I just don't want to beat on my tranny/engine. The little bit of gas I use letting it idle for a minute or two is fine with me. From my experience, the vehicle feels much better after idling for a few, than just getting in, starting and moving.

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
Some of you guys need to move to a warmer climate. HaHa :D

Idling doesn't really kill your car, but running open loop is not as good as closed loop because the fuel is not metered as precisely. Its best to get up to normal operating temp as soon as possible; this is accomplished more quickly by driving gently than by idling in the driveway.

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
When I had my 81 F100 I would let it idle for about 5 minutes on mornings that were colder than 20 degress, but only because it was carbed and would stall like crazy if it wasn't warmed up a little bit. With my Explorer, it idles for about 15 seconds before I take off. On really cold days I always take it easy on it until it warms up. I don't care if the vehicle is comfy warm when I get in and I don't want to waste the gas. I put my hat and gloves on and I am good to go.

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
It's a crock of shi*. Thank you pointing out the environment thing too. If it's iced over outside, I'll let it warm. AND?? I do drive off sometimes too. As long as you wait for the engine temp/oil pressure to rise, you can drive it like a maniac. Heard the same argument about idleing in park does the most damage. HOW? Does you engine know when it's engaged in a gear and turn on damage control. Bunch of damn scare tactics if you ask me.

Commtech

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, Va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Mountaineer 5.0l AWD
I think its a Load Of Crap also. Engines are designed to last longer now. We have better tolerances, as well as better materials that will hold up to the specific abuses.
Just look at the cars of the 60's, If you had a car that had 100k on it you were looking to get rid of it, and usually already had to repair it quite often (fuel pumps, water pumps, starters etc.). Hell, now you don't even consider a Tune-Up until it reaches 100k on some of he new cars.
I had my first Ex for 7 years, I bought it with 50k on it, and never replaced an engine component (other than Tune-Ups and Oil) on the engine until my engine fan messed up to over heat (Cracked plastic blade). It had 130k on it and still was as strong as ever.
Put an engine under a load and you create stress, so no load would mean less stress on an engine. WHy is running it at idle cause a failure then.

rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
cars warm up for quite a while before driving them off, right? Absolutely wrong!!! Just about the worst thing you could do to your vehicle’s engine—other than let it run low on fluids—is to let it sit and idle for more than a minute or so! (Quote)

You asked for opinions and I'm giving one. With that above statement he sent a clear message that what the rest of the email said was wrong also. He may tell you and the rest of the students that, but if you think for one minute that letting your engine run more then one minute is nearly as bad as running one with low fluids. Then how can you believe what he teaches you about anthropology. The Point being. Take some engines and let them idle with the right amount of fluids and then take some eingines that are low on oil and water and let both engines run. Let them run untill they start failing. You don't have to be a scientist to know which ones will breakdown first. And one more thing, before we all die and the birds start falling out of the sky because we let our engines idle more them one minute the sun will go Super Nova and you wont have to worry about having a warm car.

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Yeah it's BS.

Both my P/S pumps are loud (the moaning) when cold, even with Synpower fluid.

And how about the common 4.0 OHV valve tick?

And think. How come most of the Crown Victorias in the world arent dead yet? :rolleyes:

I don't do excessive warm ups or idles, but I don't see how it would hurt anything. When cold in the morning I usually give 20-60 seconds of idle time, and then drive lightly for the first mile.

savage120

Reaction score
City, State
Hamburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
F14CRAZY said:
Both my P/S pumps are loud (the moaning) when cold, even with Synpower fluid.

And how about the common 4.0 OHV valve tick?

Yeah I wait till the tick is gone and drive away.

C5 Pewter Coupe

Reaction score
City, State
Cascadia, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport 4x4
99SportX said:
If idling killed engines, then a lot of cop car engines wouldn't last very long around here.

I think the main reasoning behind that long email was for environmental reasons. I don't enjoy letting my vehicle run a long time to warm up, because I don't have a problem driving in a fur bomber hat and wearing gloves. I just don't want to beat on my tranny/engine. The little bit of gas I use letting it idle for a minute or two is fine with me. From my experience, the vehicle feels much better after idling for a few, than just getting in, starting and moving.

well, there's a HUGE difference between letting an engine that's already warm sit there and idle, vs one that's ice cold and starting it up and letting it idle.

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
bs.gif

Another and extremely important reason why I’m sharing this information is the fact that prolonged car idling wastes precious and finite resources. Why waste fuel—and the money it take to buy it??? The most important reason of all, though, is the fact that warming up your car threatens the health of each and every one of us. Toxic exhaust fumes aren’t mildly toxic; they’re lethal.

Yep..Environmental zealot. He lists his real reasons at the end.

I guess he's never figured out that the expansion rate of aluminum pistons is roughly twice the rate of the expansion of either a cast iron block or the cast iron cylinder sleeves in the motor. The total expansion is not much, but on some vehicles (Mach 1 and Cobra for examples) you can actually hear the piston slap on cold start up when the motor is dead cold. As the piston warms up, the slap goes away as the tolerances tighten up due to differing thermal expansion rates. I'll continue to warm up my motor for a few minutes thankyewverymuch! When you're talking tolerances in the 0.002" and down range, a difference in expansion rates between the materials can be well over 10% of the total tolerance.

Also, as stated above, oil flows better at temperature than when cold. Considering that the clearance between a main bearing and the crankshaft is only 0.0005" to 0.0022" (Explorer motor spec.), you want the oil warmed up so it can flow more easily between the surfaces to protect your motor. Of course, with synthetics, this isn't as much of an issue.

BigDakota

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Bismarck ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer SportTrac
I also think the fella is trying to save a couple more trees,,,thats okay..within reason!!

I was told, which makes some sense, that the short cold start runs, are harder on the engines with the cast iron blocks mated with alluminum heads..expansion temps are alot different...Myth or Common sense??
Personally..I am going to let the motor and fluids warm up before moving to get the heat blowing in the car when its """Friggin """cold outside!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Creager

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4
OK what im not getting is... IF infact oil does get to all the engine componets within a the few seconds after start up, then how its it going to hurt the motor if its just sitting there anyway? The open loop argument is VOID if you have an engine with more then 25k miles on it anyway. I dont think letting the motor run rich for 20 seconds is going to affect the 'polished surfaces' at this point.

But all that aside, How is letting it idle going to hurt a internally-pumped water cooled motor...

Letting Boats sitting there idle is BAD because their cooling systems draw water directly from the lake/sea. A boat has to be moving for the engine to be getting cooled.

Besides, letting your car idle for an hour uses less gas then one simple start up. So how can it be more harmful for the enviroment?