Its bad for your car to let it idle in the morning? | Page 8 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Its bad for your car to let it idle in the morning?

biggs85

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
I was going through and deleting the e-mails that show the threads that you're subscribed to and I looked at this thread and didn't realize that I probably sounded like a jerk. Guess I was having a bad day. Sorry if I offended anyone :D .

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pbnj22

Reaction score
City, State
duluth minnesnowta
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt 5. v8 awd
lol if this were true why do cars have t stats? why is there such thing as "operating temp" what a load of crock.. bad for the environment sure.. but not for my car.. or my car would let the t stat be always open and never let my engine heat up!!
Guess you do not need common sense to be an engineer these days.. and i hope he doesnt expect you to read all that AND do homework.. reading that took a while as it is..

MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
holy resurrected thread bat man !!!!!!!!!!

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I was thinking the same :D

Gatorblazer

Reaction score
City, State
Moody, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer, 09 Mazda 5
Rick, what is the record for the oldest resurrected thread? This has got to be close to it.

Reaction score
City, State
Southeastern Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
Just my two cents but a vehicle will warm up faster if driven. But this only goes for gas engines. If you run a diesel in the cold you may not get very far without warming it up. Again, speaking from experience with both engines. Is prolonged idling good for the engine? Probably not. Gas engine aren't meant to remain operational without being under a load. Diesel engines can because they operate in the hundreds of rpm (for tractor trailers anyway). So that's all I have to say. I'll warm a tractor up but not my car.