It's build time | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

It's build time

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Limited AWD
I am getting a stock shortblock to work with while maintaining my ability to use the Explorer as a daily driver. Essentially, I am looking to achieve around 400rwhp N/A. I will most likely be dumping the AWD in order to fit LT headers as well as dropping weight and the other obvious factors.

I am not concerned about tuning since I live right near Bob Kurgan and he's done fantastic work on a few of my friend's cars. Nor am I concerned with the EPA/Illinois Air Team......

This all being said, what would you guys recommend? This will be my first Ford build (I've dealt mainly with the LS platform before). Pistons, crank, cam, etc. Remember, I want 400 N/A. The motor will be massaged with an NX wet kit, but my goal is 400 without the shot.

I would consider posting this on a Mustang forum, but I don't know how well they would be able to convert their numbers for a vehicle at almost twice the weight. Thoughts? Suggestions? Good places to shop? I am 10 min from Kurgan and AreaOne Motorsports but will take other ideas as well.

Thanks!

Hello, if you plan to use a stock block then I'd stay NA only with no NOS. The stock blocks when perfectly tuned have seen as much as 500-550hp reliably before splitting. A poor tune can kill one at far lower levels, and NOS adds some shock that should be considered as dangerous. Meaning adding NOS to a 250hp engine may never split the block, but if you get near the limit just NA, avoid the NOS.

Do you know if Kurgan likes to tune OBDII Fords, because it's a good advantage over older EECIV stuff. With a SCT Excal you can get the OBDII tuned for just about any parts that you want. That saves you the trouble of buying any aftermarket ignition systems etc. There is one hiccup though with the Explorer 302 and stroking. You have to have the Explorer balancer for the OBDII, and there are no aftermarket balancers with the trigger wheel. I have a custom made balancer for mine, yet to be tested. The OEM trigger wheel was installed onto a common 28oz. OEM balancer. The trigger wheel has moved since being at the engine builder, I just discovered that. I'm about to ship it back to who made it, to see about them making it more permanent.

The stock trans can be built to take a bunch of power, 500+ easily. Starting with a lower mileage trans helps a lot. If you go with 2WD then you need a 2WD output shaft and tail housing, and the trans has to come apart to install. Then you can relate equally to Mustang hp claims, they usually lose close to 50hp through the trans.

The headers cut I'd bet easily 5-10%, depending on the rpm. Hunt on the RPS forum for Todd and his 1.75" headers. I planned for 5500rpm tops, but the cam maker it looks like put max power at 5500, and shifting after that. I'd suggest for a DD avoid going past 6000rpm actually. Note that the chart I posted was a 332 with 400rwhp at 6000rpm. That engine was also made for a little more rpm, the curve kept going well to near 7000rpm. So with a slightly lower range, those curves would have shifted down lower. He had a peak torque of 5000rpm, mine should be around 3700rpm. The "magic" though is in the choice of heads, and the cam with valvetrain designed for it. Jay did all of that as a matched set, and sent them a few blocks away to the builder.

Do check out the SBFtech site, and those of the engine and cam guys. When you are close to beginning, contact them and ask what they would suggest to reach your goals. Truly I could not have saved more than about $500 total if I had chosen the exact same parts myself to assemble at home. Their expertise is worth something, and at this time I was grateful to have the option to pay someone else to assemble the engine properly. From other recommendations I trusted them, no one is perfect but I believe that they are top notch people.

There are countless Mustang and Ford forums, groups, people, advice etc, so choose carefully what you listen to. A bunch of it is from bench racers or people who are too narrow minded to consider that they may be incorrect. Take your time, and have fun with it. These forums are full of great people who will encourage you, and everything else too. Regards,

Back