I've A Stallin And Can't Get Up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I've A Stallin And Can't Get Up

Maverick0007

Reaction score
Ok here is the problem. If I start my engine the car starts for like a second and dies immediately. But if I quickly put it into drive and keep on the gas the car will not die. I will be rough while driving but will get me back home. But if I come to a stop I need to press the gas a bit to keep me from dying. I get a check engine light. I took it immediately home and pulled the codes and here they are. Codes 157,158,172,185,186,187 I have no idea what happened. It was running fine a week ago. But I guess that is how it happens. Anybody have any ideas on my problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mass Air Flows Sensor Circuit Below Minimum Voltage
C

Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit Above Maximum Voltage
C/O

HO2S System Indicates Lean
C/R

Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit Voltage Lower Than Expected
C

Injector Pulse Width Higher Than Expected (With BARO Sensor)
C

Injector Pulse Width Higher Or Mass Air Flow Lower Than Expected (Less BARO Sensor)
C

Injector Pulse Width Lower Than Expected (With BARO Sensor)
C

Injector Pulse Width Lower Or MAF Higher Than Expected (Less BARO Sensor)
C

Unplug your MAF, and see if it stops stalling. The next step is to thoroughly clean it out, and reinstall it. It is a good idea at this time to clean out your intake manifold, IAC, and thottle body so you don't have more problems at a later date.

the cool thing about codes is half the time they relate to each other, so sometimes solving one problem solves them all. i agree with the above, clean your maf first, its cheap to free and might be the cure all as well.

strange how the ecm threw codes that contradict though, all but 1. keep an eye out for eec failure. we had a 86 ranger that just up and went blank on us, needed a new computer.

Def. clean the maf and I would look for loose vacuum lines. IAC and FPRC are easy and cheap things to change also.

Maverick0007 said:
What Is The Fprc?

Fuel Presure Regulator Controll or something like that. I may have some letters backwards. Also the PCV is another cheap easy thing to check. Pressure Control Valve.

Also check your vacuum lines. If your modulator in the tranny is bad you get tranny fluid in the lines. They then get soft and come off the connectors real easy.

why are you changing the IAC?

Your codes are fuel system related IMO
Clean the MAS, then check its voltage
Also disco your battery and see if the codes come back immediately

If the MAS is bad it could cause 02 sensor readings out of range and possibly the injector codes, as the computer has FUBAR'ed the fuel to air mixture based on the MAS signal..

Next would be check the fuel rail pressure if you can get it to run for a minute, if it stays really high it could be the FPR

Just thinking out loud, but I dont see the IAC as the issue.
I also assume you tried unplugging the MAS as described above, also visual check of all vacuum lines and of the engine bay.

410Fortune said:
why are you changing the IAC?

Your codes are fuel system related IMO
Clean the MAS, then check its voltage
Also disco your battery and see if the codes come back immediately

If the MAS is bad it could cause 02 sensor readings out of range and possibly the injector codes, as the computer has FUBAR'ed the fuel to air mixture based on the MAS signal..

Next would be check the fuel rail pressure if you can get it to run for a minute, if it stays really high it could be the FPR

Just thinking out loud, but I dont see the IAC as the issue.
I also assume you tried unplugging the MAS as described above, also visual check of all vacuum lines and of the engine bay.

Sure Jamie point out my mistakes! :p

I agree with 410's trouble shooting. Where were you before I responded?

Cleaned out the MAF and installed new IAC, no change really, has a very rough idle. If I unplug the maf, it still runs rough.

No, I wish I did. I am going to check my vacuum lines later today, and see if something came loose.

The battery was disconnected correct when you cleaned the MAF etc??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back