I've come to the conclusion that.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I've come to the conclusion that....

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
...4.0 SOHC motors DO NOT like delta flow technology on Flowmasters. I don't care what anyone says! Delta flow equipted flowmasters sound quiet/ricey on 4.0 motors. Ive had:

Flowmaster Super 40
Flowmaster Super 44
Flowmaster 50 Series SUV

Each one of these were quiet/ricey sounding. The 40 series mufflers were 2.5" and the 50 was true dual 2.25" and it still sounded ricey.

I ran the Super 44 for 2 days with an offroad Y pipe (no cats) and it still sounded ricey. I ended up going back to my Original 40 flowmaster. I LOVE the way this baby sounds! Its so deep, the problem is, when you get on it (above 3k rpms) it sounds like a pissed off bee when ran with the offroad Y pipe. It also gets VERY loud and VERY deep. The idle can be heard from a ways away. I resolved this by putting on a 2.5" high flow cat. Now it stays deep and when I get on it, it jus sounds high pitched....not like a lawn mower on roids.

Mufflers ive had prior to this were the IMCO extreme. While this muffler got loud, it just doesnt get as deep as 2 chamber mufflers.

Now I run 2.5" original 40 flowmaster, 2.5" highflow cat, and offroad Y pipe dumped, and Im finally happy. (Well as happy as I think I will be with a V6)

Of course, this is just my opinion :-)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the 50 series SUV, were you running dual in/dual out or two separate single in/single out? I know the 50 series makes a dual in (2.25")/single out(3") that I've heard okay things about. And did you ever look into the 70 series? I know Aldive mentioned he has that on his truck (single in/single out) and seems pretty happy with that as well.

I'm running the dual in single out 50 series performance SUV on my 98 sport with the SOHC. I'm also running the OEM tailpipe with resonator. No drone (except at 81 or 82 mph), no tinny buzzy sound, not ricey at all. Nice rumble at idle, nice wide open throttle... works for me.

-Joe

I'm not really a big fan of Flowmasters on Explorers.

They all sound like boats....They really do...

I'm not really a big fan of Flowmasters on Explorers.

They all sound like boats....They really do...

Funny i've wanted to say that for a while, but haden't cause, i din't want to hurt anyones feelings. i had listened to alot of peoples clips they uploaded. then other day while jetskiing (we have a larger 3 seater with the biggest engine seado makes) the sound the jetski was making reminded me of all the 4.0 flowmaster clips oh and ecspecialy Izwack with his $18 muffler. The day after i listened to another and was sure of it.

The only flowmaster that sounds good on the 4.0 motor is the original 40. I believe the delta flow and 4.0 whatevers dont mix because Ive heard delta flow mufflers on v8's and it sounds good. The original 40 really came to life when I put the offroad Y pipe on. VERY deep, loud....just sometimes too loud and sounds bad up top. The high flow cat toned it down to good for me. I feel I got the best sound I can from a 4.0 without going true duals and losing back pressure.

If I gutted the highflow cat, would it still act as a "resonator" but with better flow. Im not going back under my truck to do this, but I was just wondering. Im done with exhaust systems on my truck !

i put a 40 on mine and it through off the transmission shift points

A magna flow sounds the same. It'e the nature of the beast. Oh well, atleast they don't sound like a 4 cyl.

I hate to break it to you, but no matter what muffler you run, a V6 will never sound like anything BUT a V6!

I hate to break it to you, but no matter what muffler you run, a V6 will never sound like anything BUT a V6!

I agree, but I think the point is just getting it to sound good, or at least to one's liking. V8 exhaust obviously puts out a lower, agressive tone that just about everyone likes, where as with the V6 I think the goal is to avoid buzzy/raspy/fart can noise associated with ricers. Or at least that's my biggest concern.

I agree, but I think the point is just getting it to sound good, or at least to one's liking. V8 exhaust obviously puts out a lower, agressive tone that just about everyone likes, where as with the V6 I think the goal is to avoid buzzy/raspy/fart can noise associated with ricers. Or at least that's my biggest concern.

Amen, Ive come to learn that....I just lack 2 cylinders. Without them, I cannot get the sound I want

so what's the verdict for a 4.0 motor?

i'm looking to get a nice rumble, nothing loud, but i don't want to break the bank

what do y'all recommend

I just got a custom done on mine by a local shop for $200. It is dual in, single out. Sounds great at idle,and not bad at wot. I bit louder than stock, but ok... This would definately be the cheepest way to go, and plus you dont have to touch it...

I just got a custom done on mine by a local shop for $200. It is dual in, single out. Sounds great at idle,and not bad at wot. I bit louder than stock, but ok... This would definately be the cheepest way to go, and plus you dont have to touch it...

What muffler are you running? Exit pipe diameter? And how does it sound?

Af - Believe it or not, you'll actually get a different sound on your system if you simply wrap the y-pipe with exhaust wrap! I just did this and I think it sounds way better. Still a v6, but a good sounding v6 in my opinion.

I get compliments on the exhaust I have on my wife's Green X....

it is a 3" (yes, it is PROBABLY a bit on the big side for a V-6)..but the sound is TOTALLY worth it....

My V6 DOES in fact sound like a stock 5.0L Mustang...and people ALWAYS ask if I swapped a V8 into my Explorer....I never answer them....

I've been saying for a LONG time that I will get a vid w/ audio...maybe I'll get it done soon...I have some time off now...

Ryan

3" Is not too big in my opinion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Af - Believe it or not, you'll actually get a different sound on your system if you simply wrap the y-pipe with exhaust wrap! I just did this and I think it sounds way better. Still a v6, but a good sounding v6 in my opinion.

Hmm, really? Wouldnt that trap in moisture and rust the pipes?

Back