I've gone to the darkside...Truckhaven trip | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I've gone to the darkside...Truckhaven trip

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
Quick story about why and how I met up with these Jeep guys...I recently started working for this guy Dave who I used to work with a few yrs. back at another paint company and now he has his own painting business. So he and a few of his friends have somewhat of an informal club called Carnage 4x4. One of the guys in the club has a second house out near Truckhaven which they all use to hang out at so Dave invited me out to the house and wheel with these guys.
I didn't know what kind of wheeling to expect from these guys but the name of the club and the looks of their jeeps should've given it away...lol. Most of us caravaned together to the house and got there just before sundown, we got settled in and headed out for a night run...kinda nice not to have to set up a tent :D
These guys love to play in the tightest v-notches they can find and I did my best to keep up but some places were just too tight and I had to bypass or take a different line. I decided to air down to 9psi just to see how that would work out but I found out soon that it was a bad idea! I was trying to make a tight turn in some really loose, silty stuff and the outer bead came completely off the rim :eek: The stem was missing and the guys were saying thats why i lost the bead but I think the tire came off first and took off the stem in the process...who knows. So I slapped on my spare and we headed back to the house and fixed my tire and had some dinner.
Afterwards we went back out and stayed in the same wash as before, just a little further up. There was a yellow CJ-8 trying some crazy stuff as the pics will show...he tried going up this notch that if he had made it he would've been in a worse situation because the other side just closes up and goes nowhere. Anyways he got himself on his side against the wall and we managed to get him back to a point where he thought he could drive out of it but it didn't work. He put it in reverse and proceded to drive out but he hugged the wall all the way and was still in a hell of a situation. We ended up strapping him and got him on all fours. Well, enough jibber-jabber...here's some pics :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the pics...something went wrong on the original post.
Spec's on that CJ-8 are D60 up front, 14 bolt rear, Chevy 350 motor, 40 MTR's on H2 wheels, hydro assist steering, Chevy rear springs with double shackles...yeah, this thing was built.

Attachments

• AGF00002b.JPG
    AGF00002b.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 389
  • AGF00010a.JPG
    AGF00010a.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 372
  • AGF00012b.JPG
    AGF00012b.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 373

That poor CJ-8 suffered a bent steering ram from that and later that night he smashed his pass side fender/grill into the radiator so he was out for the rest of the weekend. Other carnage was a busted axle u-joint, ripped soft top, various dents and scrapes on everyones rigs. Aside from my lost bead, I broke a front blinker and have a nice crease in my drivers side door.

Here's some more random pics...the ssecond to last one is of the houses on Marina dr., they have four framed so far and power poles are up almost all the way down Marina...kinda weird seeing houses there now.

Attachments

• AGF00004b.JPG
    AGF00004b.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 385
  • AGF00017a.JPG
    AGF00017a.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 378
  • AGF00015.JPG
    AGF00015.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 388

looks very exciting!! wheelin is wheelin, even with Jeeps

It was rino, we were out until 2am :o

More pics:

Attachments

• AGF00014.JPG
    AGF00014.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 382
  • AGF00006b.JPG
    AGF00006b.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 351

Is it a rule that Jeep guys have to use MTR's because they have the word Wrangler in them? Anyway, looks like a good time. Got any pics of you wheelin'?

It must be j602...hehe, nah I was the only one with a camera out there and it's hard to take pics of yourself wheelin'. I should've taken one of my lost bead but I was too frustrated at the time :mad:

That's pretty crazy Dave. But the picture of the house makes me want to cry :( It's only a matter of time now. Some day there will be a 7-11 where the wash use to be.

Looks like fun, doesn't sound like your carnage was too bad...Too bad you don't have any pics of yourself. :(

Looks like a blast Dave. It's cool that you can go home and then back out to T-haven in the same day!

Dave, you want your blinker back, lol.

Cool pics and story. Thanks for sharing.

How much are those houses selling for?

Ahhhh real Jeeps! Not one says Rubicon on the side, kudos for that! hahaha See how they are low to the ground with big tires? Smart Jeepers.

Looks like Fun, also I think we should collectivly buy a house at truckhaven, I get to pay less though because I am in CO. :)

j602 said:
Is it a rule that Jeep guys have to use MTR's because they have the word Wrangler in them? Anyway, looks like a good time. Got any pics of you wheelin'?

NO! :Flipoff2:

Cause not all Jeeps are Wranglers :D

Looks Like fun, and those are some Nice Jeeps, Wish i was out there, but if i was, ide have to have stronger axles, more power, lot more dents, lower amount of lift, and to much, LOL

Yeah Rick, they have a nice big driveway and a garage to work on broken junk so thats a big plus and there's an open lot next door where we had a game of horse shoes going :D

Jaime, if thats the case then you get the couch!

Bill, nah i'll wait until they totally fall apart then buy new clear corners ;)

Positive Vibes: I was looking for a sign somewhere that would list a price of the homes but I didn't see anything but i'll ask the carnage guys, i'm sure they'll know.

Xplorerkid, Truckhaven is a unique place in that you don't have to be built to the hilt to play there. You can be bone stock and have a blast there, it's just that the stuff the jeep guys I was with love to play in the tightest V-notches they could find...it's as wild as you want it to be there :p

No words needed:
2893Thaven04.jpg

Actually the words "Where do you want to go?" would be fitting in the skyline :cool:

That looks like a good time. I've always wanted to have something that I could just not worry about rolling and trying to get it back on it's wheels under it's own power.

Cool pics.

j602 said:
Is it a rule that Jeep guys have to use MTR's because they have the word Wrangler in them?
MTR's are overpriced IMO. Lots and lots of ppl in my club 'wheel w/them, but they're way loud on the street - louder than my Intercos. Their lugs do hook up real well in the loose Truckhaven dirt, but I think my TrXus MTs do about as good...Sorry for hijackin' the thread, Dave. Looked like fun out there!

-Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would guess the MTR's would last a bit longer than the trXus tires or any interco tire for that matter but what do i know? I love my IROK's even though they are bias ply but my rig is rarely driven so I don't think twice about the tires I buy anymore. Besides that, the $600 I paid for the tires AND wheels didn't hurt the pocket book too much ;) Gotta love the Pirate classifieds.

Back