I've got a noise, can you help me identify it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I've got a noise, can you help me identify it?

MyExplorer03v8Lim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6L
When I am in reverse, moving at low speeds, and turning the wheel nearly to the limit, and occasionally while I'm moving forward slowly and turning the wheel almost to the limit...

I hear a click noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear middle of the vehicle. It would make sense to me if it were a CV joint or something but I can't figure what this might be.

It's always possible that I'm misidentifying the location of the noise. I did notice a very small slit in the boot of the CV joint, which had leaked lube onto the lower control arm.

The vehicle is relatively new to me, so it's equally likely that someone could have noticed the issue starting and preemptively made a little slit to pack it with grease or it could be a newly developed crack in the boot.

I guess either way I should investigate it but I'm not totally convinced that where the noise is coming from.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the drive shaft u joints?

Have you checked the drive shaft u joints?

I've not. I'm a learn as you go type of guy, but I know how to turn a wrench. What's the protocol for u joint inspection?

Check for play in the driveshafts near the u-joints.

If it's only doing it when moving slowly and fully at lock, I'm more inclined to think it's a bearing or CV joint issue, or it's your 4wd quickly engaging and disengaging.

Mine began clicking as well after I noticed grease splattering all around the rubber boot of the joint. It's that joint that has a bad seal leaking grease causing that noise. When I replaced the cv joint noise went away

Back