• Register Today It's free!

I've had it with MyFord Touch.

CapnMorganXX

Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer LTD, Loaded
So the system has finally expended my last nerve.

I've had the APIM module replaced, done multiple fuse resets, and had 2.11 software installed.

I still deal on a daily basis with:

1. the touchscreen not responding up to 5 minutes into the drive (I have a 10 minute commute on the way home, so that doesn't exactly make it worthwhile)
2. Multiple navigation faults. Sometimes the nav will not track where I am up to 3-4 minutes into the drive
3. Bluetooth disconnects, reconnects constantly (iPhone 4 with latest firmware).
4. BT Stereo does not show up even though the phone is shown connected in the upper left quadrant/tab. The iPhone sees sync and gives it as an option to connect to on the sources/arrow button.
5. Connecting my iphone, ipod, usb stick, or other mp3 player leads to the system not recognizing the device up to 5-8 minutes into the drive, sometimes not at all.
6. Random resets during the drive and black screens
7. The driver information screen in the dash, right side does not keep updated with what is actually on the screen: ie the mini screen shows usb1: ipod. but the main screen doesnt. When you try and connect using the mini screen it will error or black out OR lead to navigation faults.
8. Voice does not work whatsoever. You can press the voice button up to 5-8 times and it will just only pause the music then start playing it again. It never "dings, SYNC say command' I often will just manually call someone IF the phone is actually connected via bluetooth, then the sync voice prompts will start to play WHILE i'm in a phone call. It then will hang up the call, or make the call unusable do to dings, voice prompts, etc.

That's just a few of the issues I'm having. I've had it into the dealer 5 times and just bought it memorial day weekend. I've had field engineers look at the vehicle, apim modules replaced, EVERYTHING that can be done. I've had it. I work in the consumer electronics industry, and formerly automotive CE (XM satellite radio) and know that this is not right. There are serious issues with this system that cannot be fixed at this time. A fuse reset is not a fix.

Unless a miracle happens with a new updated, I am starting the documentation process (taking videos of the system, logging calls, etc.) to execute our state's lemon law. I purchased the 2011 explorer limited in Ohio, but live in Kentucky. Both states have strict lemon laws that give Ford 3 opportunities to fix the problem.

I contacted Ford last evening, and the MyFord Touch representative had the nerve to tell me my problems are because "I'm connecting an iPhone or an iPod to the system, and MyFord Touch is a Microsoft system, and iPhone/iPods are Apple."

BS. Having worked with Apple before, once something is certified as "Works with iPhone/iPod" compatible, it doesn't matter. The operating system reads the file system and plays the files. But humoring her argument, what about the bluetooth stereo or USB mass storage stick that are universal consumer electronics standards in both automotive and home usage?

I am awaiting a call from a Ford supervisor in the MyFord Touch support department.

I've flat out had it with this system. I was the biggest proponent of this vehicle and MyFord Touch. Having seen and oogled at both at CES for two years. I love the vehicle and how it drives, but the in-car system is completely unusable.

It looks like lemon law, here I come.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had the APIM module replaced, done multiple fuse resets, and had 2.11 software installed.

1. the touchscreen not responding up to 5 minutes into the drive (I have a 10 minute commute on the way home, so that doesn't exactly make it worthwhile)
2. Multiple navigation faults. Sometimes the nav will not track where I am up to 3-4 minutes into the drive
3. Bluetooth disconnects, reconnects constantly (iPhone 4 with latest firmware).
4. BT Stereo does not show up even though the phone is shown connected in the upper left quadrant/tab. The iPhone sees sync and gives it as an option to connect to on the sources/arrow button.
5. Connecting my iphone, ipod, usb stick, or other mp3 player leads to the system not recognizing the device up to 5-8 minutes into the drive, sometimes not at all.
7. The driver information screen in the dash, right side does not keep updated with what is actually on the screen: ie the mini screen shows usb1: ipod. but the main screen doesnt. When you try and connect using the mini screen it will error or black out OR lead to navigation faults.
8. Voice does not work whatsoever. You can press the voice button up to 5-8 times and it will just only pause the music then start playing it again. It never "dings, SYNC say command' I often will just manually call someone IF the phone is actually connected via bluetooth, then the sync voice prompts will start to play WHILE i'm in a phone call. It then will hang up the call, or make the call unusable do to dings, voice prompts, etc.

That's just a few of the issues I'm having. I've had it into the dealer 5 times and just bought it memorial day weekend. I've had field engineers look at the vehicle, apim modules replaced, EVERYTHING that can be done. I've had it. I work in the consumer electronics industry, and formerly automotive CE (XM satellite radio) and know that this is not right. There are serious issues with this system that cannot be fixed at this time. A fuse reset is not a fix.

Unless a miracle happens with a new updated, I am starting the documentation process (taking videos of the system, logging calls, etc.) to execute our state's lemon law. I purchased the 2011 explorer limited in Ohio, but live in Kentucky. Both states have strict lemon laws that give Ford 3 opportunities to fix the problem.

I contacted Ford last evening, and the MyFord Touch representative had the nerve to tell me my problems are because "I'm connecting an iPhone or an iPod to the system, and MyFord Touch is a Microsoft system, and iPhone/iPods are Apple."

BS. Having worked with Apple before, once something is certified as "Works with iPhone/iPod" compatible, it doesn't matter. The operating system reads the file system and plays the files. But humoring her argument, what about the bluetooth stereo or USB mass storage stick that are universal consumer electronics standards in both automotive and home usage?

I am awaiting a call from a Ford supervisor in the MyFord Touch support department.

I've flat out had it with this system. I was the biggest proponent of this vehicle and MyFord Touch. Having seen and oogled at both at CES for two years. I love the vehicle and how it drives, but the in-car system is completely unusable.

sorry to hear about your issues.

How many contacts do you have on your iPhone? Its probably nothing, but another member on these boards was having similar strange issues and he had like 2k contacts on his phone which was causing Sync to be slow. If you set your auto phonebook download to off it helps in that case.

Your issues sound like a bad media hub. If you've had your APIM replaced, then the media hub sounds defective. The media hub is the sd card and usb reader. I'm also assuming you have sync version 2.11 right?

Definitely not working right. What happens when you connect nothing to Sync? Does it work normally? (e.g. Nav, climate, radio,etc.)?

I have around 100 contacts on my phone. Not too many.

I have version 2.11. It fixed the bluetooth issues for around a week, and they have started to ramp up exponentially.

I haven't heard of the media hub going bad. Would that lead to some of the unresponsiveness and resets I've seen?

With nothing connected it's still completely unresponsive up to 5 minutes into the drive. For a flash memory based system on a chip, this is unacceptable by market and quality standards. My desktop pc with $600 retail hardware and a flash hdd can boot windows and be fully responsive in less than a minute. An automotive mobile system like this should boot in significantly less time.

I have around 100 contacts on my phone. Not too many.

I have version 2.11. It fixed the bluetooth issues for around a week, and they have started to ramp up exponentially.

I haven't heard of the media hub going bad. Would that lead to some of the unresponsiveness and resets I've seen?

With nothing connected it's still completely unresponsive up to 5 minutes into the drive. For a flash memory based system on a chip, this is unacceptable by market and quality standards. My desktop pc with $600 retail hardware and a flash hdd can boot windows and be fully responsive in less than a minute. An automotive mobile system like this should boot in significantly less time.

100 contacts shouldn't kill it.

Something is wrong. Either you got extremely unlucky and got a second defective APIM, or something else is faulty that is sending bad messages to your APIM. We all know that input validation is non-existent on this system so it could be anything that sends input to the Sync system. This could include the radio, the GPS, and various other sensors in the car.

My guess is that your usb port/sd card reader is going bad based on your Nav faults. Have you had many "device not recognized" issues when plugging something into the USB port? On the other hand, the nav faults could be simply from the slowness that the APIM is experiencing causing a keep-alive timer to be unattended to and causing the failure. Another source I've been hearing is that the Sony radio is causing issues - although I kinda doubt that.

5 minutes is ridiculous. Something is not right.

Mine is up and fully running with a Droid X connected, Nav, and a USB stick with 700 songs in about 45 seconds. I can use the touchscreen almost immediately (though response time is slow until everything loads).

Have you done a vehicle health report? Maybe there is some issue causing it to lock up....

100 contacts shouldn't kill it.

Something is wrong. Either you got extremely unlucky and got a second defective APIM, or something else is faulty that is sending bad messages to your APIM. We all know that input validation is non-existent on this system so it could be anything that sends input to the Sync system. This could include the radio, the GPS, and various other sensors in the car.

My guess is that your usb port/sd card reader is going bad based on your Nav faults. Have you had many "device not recognized" issues when plugging something into the USB port? On the other hand, the nav faults could be simply from the slowness that the APIM is experiencing causing a keep-alive timer to be unattended to and causing the failure. Another source I've been hearing is that the Sony radio is causing issues - although I kinda doubt that.

5 minutes is ridiculous. Something is not right.

Mine is up and fully running with a Droid X connected, Nav, and a USB stick with 700 songs in about 45 seconds. I can use the touchscreen almost immediately (though response time is slow until everything loads).

Have you done a vehicle health report? Maybe there is some issue causing it to lock up....

I have done a health report, nothing showing up there.

I have a sony radio, couldn't say if thats the issue.

I do not get 'device not recognized' errors. It will recognize the device, then either lock up and reboot, or allow me to select the device via one of the input methods then the device not actually play. BT stereo is one of the worst offenders though. It will often cause a crash or complete lock up.

I've had 'device disconnected' errors when the ipod or iphone is still connected to the system. Sometimes these messages will stay ON the screen and not turn off until the car is turned on and off. I've had this happen on 7 hour + road trips and have to pull the car over so that the touch screen is usable for nav, climate, etc.

I have done a health report, nothing showing up there.

I have a sony radio, couldn't say if thats the issue.

I do not get 'device not recognized' errors. It will recognize the device, then either lock up and reboot, or allow me to select the device via one of the input methods then the device not actually play. BT stereo is one of the worst offenders though. It will often cause a crash or complete lock up.

I've had 'device disconnected' errors when the ipod or iphone is still connected to the system. Sometimes these messages will stay ON the screen and not turn off until the car is turned on and off. I've had this happen on 7 hour + road trips and have to pull the car over so that the touch screen is usable for nav, climate, etc.

So, one thing you *might* try is to unpair all phones with sync (delete from sync AND from your phone), remove all devices (iPods, usb sticks, etc...), and removing the NAV sd card. Then.... do a master reset of the software followed by a negative terminal battery pull (leave it off for 20 minutes). What I'm trying to do here is clear any corrupted memory in the system. There are memory leaks everywhere in this software and this is the only way I can tell to make sure the memory is clear.

Next try the following - driving around for awhile between steps to note system reaction times:

1.) try powering the radio off if your system is still slow after the above steps. See if speed improves. If speed improves your radio is defective.

2.) try inserting the NAV SD Card. See what happens. If everything appears ok, pull over and turn off the car and restart it. See if it is still fast. If not - your media hub is probably bad.

3.) Next, try adding your devices one at a time until one of them causes your issues.

Maybe you can pinpoint the issue for the dealer.

I was having the same problems and also steering problems. The vehicle was shifting/pulling to the right when keeping the steering wheel straight. I took the vehicle back to the dealership starting the day after I got it (Aug12) and have been doing it until last week when I got tired of it and yesterday I submitted the paperwork for the Lemon Law. Here in Maryland, for steering and brake related issues, only one attempt is necessary to submit a claim. The MyFord Touch is another story though, it has to happen at least 4 times, it did.
1. A/C will turned off or on by itself
2. Will not accpt commands; for example "Climate - My Temperature" it will answer back saying "My Temperature ON" but it does not changes the temperature to the stored temperature.
3. Keeps disconnecting the phone, as usb or bluetooth. Sometimes it shows the bluetooth connected, but the vehicle will say no bluetooth connected when I say "Bluetooth"
4. The vehicle health report had gave me two brake warnings, but the vehicle does not have any warning lights on.
5. When increasing speed the A/C gets warmer
6. It took me more than four hours to index the songs
7. Few days ago the screen when blank and then when it came up the rear camera was not showing up...
8. There is more... this is just to give an idea

I was told at the dealership yesterday that they had two other Ex's with the steering issues, and they have been getting more and more people for the My Ford Touch / SYNC issues.....

For the lemon law, I sent three letters with documentation:
1. Ford Motor Company
2. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
3. Maryland Attorney General - Consumer Protection Division

It is funny, because I just got my plates yesterday on the same day I sent the paperwork....

Wish you good luck, and I will let you know the outcome....

How do you master reset?

I am not in the vehicle, but I believe is:
1. Menu
2. System
3. Somewhere in there there is Master Reset.

The last time I did the Master Reset, the system took more than two our to come back up and then I got a blank screen and then when the screen finally came up the back up camera was not working.... Left it like that and later on when I started the vehicle everything came back fine, but the LCD dispaly funtions were not working, three days later it did... I really do not know what happen or whta is going on with the system.... :salute:

How is it going? Are the lemon laws working? We are having similar issues and I am just trying to figure out our options, thanks

Would also like to know.. similar issues.. very frustrating for such an expensive vechicle and serious lack of response from Ford.

Are we not owed a system to function as advertised? especially after paying $40k+???

With the vast number of problems and vast number of unhappy customers with MFT, I say class action!!!

j/k.......

Well I have not received a response to the lemon law claim, but I posted some things on their Facebook site (2011 Ford Explorer), some body from customer service (Yolanda Alt) contacted me. I sent the times I am available, but of course she called me during other times. Then she sent me an email saying the follwoing:

"Good Morning Rafael,

I just left you another message..I was advised by the dealer that your vehicle has been repaired and picked up.. I just left the dealer number and mine in case you have any questions..

Have a nice day,
"

I said... Who did she talked to at the dealership? They know the vehicle was there more than 4 times for all the issues. I also notified them when I sent the lemon law claim...

How can she send me back to the dealership, without not even giving me the chance to explain the situation...
So I explained again about the Lemon Law, and she said
"Rafael,
You will be notified by that department when the case is opened… at that point I am no longer allowed to handle your case.."

She never did... I never had the chance to talk to her...

Yes, keep us posted on the lemon law complaints. I'm on my 3rd APIM and it continues to have many of the issues described above. My latest conversation this morning with Ford is that there will be a reprogram (new word-not update) out in the "1st quarter." I don't buy that. If it is the first quarter, it will likely be March 31. However, I saw elsewhere on this board that it will be at least April......

I had it into the dealer for a final shot at fixing things (maybe two weeks back?) MFT surprisingly hasn't crashed since. Some slow start ups, but overall not too terrible.

I'm still at 6k miles, so I have some time before it comes decision time. I'm hoping they may have fixed it (not sure how because it already had the latest software updated, 2.11).

I'm confident the issues will arise again after the system has had some time to 'warm itself up' to its full bugginess. I will keep everyone updated.

Back