I've reached a turning point........ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I've reached a turning point........

Jason_25

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
It all comes down to money doesn't it?

With the money I have been saving + my tax returns it look like I will have to choose between two different paths with my explorer.

1.RCD 5.5 Coilover kit. 295/75/r16 (34" tire) Spare tire in cargo area. Not many other mods........

2.TT with warrior shackles, stiffest springs, fender trimming. Maybe 1" body. 285/75/r16's (33"tire), custom rear bumper from Kennesaw mountain accesories with tire carrier, highlift mount, rear lights, onboard air maybe. Rock sliders. Torsion bar skid plate. Front locker or L/S. Manual T/C.

Which rig is most capable?

Which would you choose?

Thanks for your input guys,
Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5.5 5.5 5.5 5.5 5.5 5.5:D :D :D :D :D :bounce:

I think option 2 is better. Even with smaller tires, the manual TC and front traction device will probably make your more capable. Add all the other goodies that you can get with the cash, and it's a no-brainer!

I would go for option 2. then start saving again till you get enough to do a solid axle swap up front then it will be a well built rig. I have a feeling in the next year or so alot of newer ranger and explorers will be getting solid axles put in them so all the bugs will be worked out.

Matt

Jason,

Number 2 is way more bang for your buck. The most important thing if your going off road will be a locker L/S and two is better!!! The tire size difference is small, not worth the cost of NOT doing the other things you list in option 2.

OPTION 2!!

both options include cash to make an extra key right;)

I think number 2 is the best. You have all sorts of things on it like performance, protection, and utility.

I would go with option #2, but get the OME 2" rear springs and the OME Shocks, then do a 2" body lift and trim the fenders, that should get you 33's under the truck, also an AtlasII for your Transfer case choice.
I'm a big believer in armor.

Oh ! one more thing. Get rid of the 16" wheels. 15" wheels will cost about $200 less for 5 33X12.5's as opposed to 285's

OPTION 1!! coilovers are awesome compared to torsionbars for travel and ride comfort. Also if theres one thing I've learned from having building up my explorer go as big as you can right away. On mine I had a 2.5" susplift then I added a 1" bodylift then removed the 2.5" susplift and added a 6" susplift and now I have a 6" susplift and a 2" body lift. If I would have just gone big right away I would have spent less money in the long run. Later you will always have time to add lockers or whatever else you want. It may cost more in the begaining but in the long run you will save. Later you may want to add a bodylift 2 or 3" and go for bigger tires and this way you definately can. 33" tires are baby size now I have 35's and all I can't wait for them to wear out so I can go for 37's. Remember BANG FOR BUCK is not always best. Don't forget You pay for what you get!

so.. how much does it cost to put in an atlas II or just swap in a stock manual xfer case?

i don't know what i would do in your case. i couldn't afford either right now, so i haven't thought about it. i'd love to have the l/s or locker up front, but i'd also like the coilover/soa setup.
good luck with the decision.

Jason,
The Atlas II with 3.78 Lo ran me $2200.00.
The speedometer adaptor to convert the Jeep speedo gear to the Ford speedometer cable is $70.00.
You will either need to add a body lift of at least 1" or fab the T-case crossmember to lower the Atlas to make it fit. I went with a 2" body lift, $70.00.

Option #1

Jason -

My initial reaction was to go with option # 2, but after thinking about it, I would definately go with # 1.

Here's my rationale:

Sure, you get more "bang for the buck" with # 2, but only if you have come to the decision that you'll never spend another dime on Explorer upgrades. . . (Yeah, Right!!!) You'll save up more money for upgrades in time, and you'll be able to add the other components listed in Option # 2 in the future.

If you elect Option # 2 now, you'll be kicking yourself in 6 months because you're going to want to 5.5 RCD lift. Then you'll have components to get rid of that aren't as easily sold on the "For sale trade, or wanted" board as you may think. . . As a guy who bought the Rancho 2 1/2" lift and then decided he needed a SOA, you can trust me on that one. . .

Your money, your choice, just my .02.

Paul

Wow, thanks for all the experienced responses guys. I've decided that my truck still has alot of life in her, considering it still runs and drives likes new with 91k on the clock. So that's why I'm asking about all this stuff for future upgrades.
Ray: I'm absolutely sure I will never purchase an Atlas II, for this vehicle at least. Also, I wanna stay with the 16" wheels, I love the look of the stock wheels. But what's the story with the OME springs? How much? Do they flex better than stock?
Steve:You guys are never gonna get over that are you? :D
Things I have already Decided on:
Rear Bumper
Shock Mount Skids

Keep those responses coming guys!

Man, must be nice, anyone want to marry my fiancee this summer so i can save some money?? haha, j/k, wouldn't trade her for the world, anyways...

Man, i think everyone has brought up some good points. For me, even when i'm thinking of future plans, i'm looking at the terrain i'm ridding on. I really don't like to crawl over rocks, think you know why, and i like to stick to the trails and some mud holes. Personally, i'd go with #2 (can't listen to Paul, he's in the Army, haha j/k!) because the locker or LS will prove to be awesome especially if you get the manual case. From what i saw in VA, i think your driving skills and habits the second opition will benefit you more. Plus, it will look awesome with all the ad-ons and you'll have alot more things to list or sell to me later when you go bigger!!!!

Happy trails!!

Originally posted by Ray Lobato
Jason,
The Atlas II with 3.78 Lo ran me $2200.00.
The speedometer adaptor to convert the Jeep speedo gear to the Ford speedometer cable is $70.00.
You will either need to add a body lift of at least 1" or fab the T-case crossmember to lower the Atlas to make it fit. I went with a 2" body lift, $70.00.

Ray,
I was reading and I remeber reading that the 98+ are electronic speedo systems..does that mean his speed is takes from somewhere besides where the gear is on ours?
Was just thinking maybe he could shave on extra $70 off..lol

Made my decision.......

I've thought long and hard and have come up with a list of mods that would best suit me and my explorer.

1.OME 2" Lift rear springs with nitrocharger shocks all around
2.Cryogenically treated brake rotors
3.Manual BW 1354 t case
4.Custom-made rock sliders
5.Custom rear bumper with the works
7.T-bar skid plate
8.Traction aiding device in front-end (not sure what yet, I REALLY want something selectable)
9.Torsion Twist (bars aren't even twisted yet and only rubs under full compression)
10.Catback exhuast system
11.Superchip
12.4.10 gear swap
13.GPS with LCD

Well, that's it. I think after all that my truck will get me anywhere my balls will let me go. Of course, all this may take years to acquire, but so be it.
What do you guys think, did I leave anything out?

you 95 guys are lucky, all ya gotta do is take that fog light air dam thing. i saw one at pepboys, it had some extended shackles attached to the sotck ones and the air dam thing gone. runnin some BFG's.

Back