• Register Today It's free!

IVT question: GPS antenna

1sttimeford

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited 301
How does the GPS antenna communicate with the navigation software? Is it hard wired or does it communicate via bluetooth?

When my MFT goes haywire it appears to center around a repeating loop of gaining and losing contact with the GPS antenna.

This has happened to me 3 times since I took delivery of the car in May, with approx 3-4 weeks between occurrences.

This fault loop plays out over the span of approx 3-5 minutes and repeats over and over until I shut the car off:

1. a dialog box that pops up on screen indicating navigation fault - pic below
  2. red X appears over the letters 'GPS' on the map in the upper left corner (map continues to update, route guidance continues normally)
  3. the 'i' for Sync services at the bottom-middle turns yellow
  4. touch the 'i' and go to Notifications, there is an entry for GPS failure.
  5. touch the entry in the notification list to view it... and it *disappears*
  6. the GPS signal returns, everything is fine again for a minute...
  7. then back to #1

When I turn the car back on later, either the MFT is so hopelessly bogged down that the backup camera has a 2 minute delay in engaging and disengaging and the voice command system wont respond to pressing the button on the steering wheel at all... or everything is fine again.

When the MFT is bogged down like described above there is no recourse but to pull the fuse or pull the battery lead.

Another poster on the forum speculated that there is a memory leak in the bluetooth stack of the MFT. If the GPS antenna communicates with the nav software via bluetooth, then this would explain why it isn't a persistent problem, but when it does happen it can be cleared up with a "hard" reboot.

Back