• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

IZwack's car-PC

Nick26

Reaction score
City, State
Cumberland, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' 5.0 XLT
There is actually no need to defrag at all, by any means. Placing data in continuous segments to minimize read head movements while reading a file has no effect when there is no read head or any other moving parts...

The other benefit of defragging is the combining of small chunks of free space due to them being part of a cluster that is only partially used. Nowadays, with avg file size much larger than the avg cluster size, this has become less of an issue.

So I guess what I'm saying is don't defrag, by any means, when you have a SSD. It won't help, and it may cause harm.
He's right, in addition I will just point out that the blocks on a SSD drive have a finite number of write cycles so defragging would essentially just be wasting write cycles for no reason at all. Not to mention the low level memory controller won't actually put the data for the files in order because it doesn't have any concept of files and just writes this bit here, that bit there, everytime i gets more new data.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Like I mentioned before you could have probably gotten away with a compact flash card and a SATA adapter. But anyway each PEB on those drives has a minimum of 100K writes, and with wear levelling of 30GB, and the kernel's file system caching you should be find for a very long time.
I was wondering about that - would the throughput of a CF via SATA be as fast as this SSD?

And also, arent CF cards (and other formats) also MLCs (multi level cells) like this one I have?

If the info on this link is correct, then here is an SLC SSD that is about the same price and size: http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_parts.asp?PRID=10922

Nick26

Reaction score
City, State
Cumberland, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' 5.0 XLT
CF cards wouldn't be as fast and don't have as many write cycles(depending on make and model), but cost wise might have been cheap enough to justify it if you only wanted like 3Gb anyway. If you wanted a small second backup drive you could make one and keep it around.

jad2411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
El Paso, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Brown eb
I've been loking for a think client pc, I'd run diagnostics, GPS, and AV, I'm thinking of getting a USB wireless network adapter that way I could connect to my house for upgrades or whatever I need to.
Those PC's use a 12V source, so I think it would be easy to use it for in-car applications, I still have to do some reading and I need $$ to fund this project hehehe

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Got megaTunix talking with MegaSquirt. I ripped out the hard wired IAC so I didnt get to test that, but I'll resolder sometime and play with it.

Screenshot: http://izwack.com/dump/Screenshot.png

As of this posting, MegaTunix supports firmware version .888 where as MegaTune supports .890 (Monitor_v2.888a.abs.s19 - vs - Monitor_v2.890.abs.s19) . With the two difference versions, Tunix couldn't [or wouldn't] read from the ECU properly. So MegaSquirt had to be reattached the Windows laptop, rewrite the older firmware to the ECU, reattach into the Linux machine, and finally MegaTunix was able to read from the ECU.

Last edited:

cybergasm

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0
So is the Motor running on this now or not yet?

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Of course not :). The way the schedule is running, the engine will crank when the last autumn leaf falls in 2009.

SVO

Moderator Emeritus/Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Bastrop/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
Turbocharged Navajo LX
Of course not :). The way the schedule is running, the engine will crank when the last autumn leaf falls in 2009.

Sounds like a race.............

Will I get my junk running first or you???

Jeff - :navajo:

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Will I get my junk running first or you???
You're a teacher, you've got underlings to your disposal. Use them!

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Sounds like a three way race. I am hoping to light the fire in my project about the same time Iz is planning for:D

SVO

Moderator Emeritus/Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Bastrop/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
Turbocharged Navajo LX
You're a teacher, you've got underlings to your disposal. Use them!

Funny you say that.

We're not allowed as "staff" to work on our own junk up at school, it is forbidden, and constitutes grounds for termination, so unfortunately this means I have to do all the work here at the house.

Hanging out with current students also applies to the above.

I guess I could send invites to Froader, Sextion, Jamest, and Josh and go buy stock in Shiner Brewery.

Jeff - :navajo:

95exploderboy

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD and Lebanon, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport
Just came accross this guy while looking around for pc parts today. Would something like this have worked for you as well? I'm thinking of getting one to mess around with just for fun.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Yeah but it might be a bit more tricky since thats not an x86 design like the Intels, AMDs and such.

95exploderboy

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD and Lebanon, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport
Got it, I don't really know enough about the MS and this board, but just thought that this thing was pretty cool.

Back to my beagleboard research now...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NICE59FORDF100 What kind of video car should i get for Need for speed Most Wanted? Exploring Computers!! 9