• Register Today It's free!

J-mod spring removal? which ones?

matp232

Reaction score
City, State
Spotswood nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 ford explorer
hey everybody. so i just spend the last hour reading threads on various forums about the J-mod. seems like a really good bang for almost nothing. i read that some ppl some leave the 2-3 accumulator spring in and just remove the 1-2 spring. removing both make the 1-2 shift way too hard but other say its fine. does anybody have any feed back on this? would hate to pull trans apart twice {been there, done that}. just want nice firm shifts with very little overlap while towing. trying to make it last

hey everybody. so i just spend the last hour reading threads on various forums about the J-mod. seems like a really good bang for almost nothing. i read that some ppl some leave the 2-3 accumulator spring in and just remove the 1-2 spring. removing both make the 1-2 shift way too hard but other say its fine. does anybody have any feed back on this? would hate to pull trans apart twice {been there, done that}. just want nice firm shifts with very little overlap while towing. trying to make it last
@matp232
Firm shifts apply higher stress to the spinning parts, which may result in broken parts sooner. OTOH, firm shifts wear bands/clutch plates just a bit less. So just look at the poison, or drink it. imp

Back