j602's 2wd Beast | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

j602's 2wd Beast

My name's Josh and I live in Dothan, Alabama. I've owned the truck since November, 2003. It's a 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD. I started with basic upgrades and modifications like new paint, clear corners, tires, and wheels. It then turned into a constant work in progress resulting in what it is now.

It's curent state:
25390sas10.jpg

Specs-

Exterior:

Black metallic paint
Longtek brush guard
35x12.5" Dunlop Mud Rovers
15x8 Rock Crawler 97's
Sylvania Silverstar 9004 headlight bulbs
Clear corners
SRB 6" fogs
Taillight guards
Removed front valence/license plate holder
Custom shorty antenna
4' fiberglass CB antenna with custom mount on T/L guard
Herc'd door jambs
Bedliner'd rockers
Cut front bumper, bedlinered both
Painted grille
Tint
Curt Class III hidden hitch

Interior:

All-Weather floor mats
Leather steering wheel cover
Pioneer DEH-6500 head unit
Infinity Reference 5x7's in doors
(2) Infinity Reference 10's in a sealed enclosure
LA 1000W Amp
Uniden PRO538W CB

Suspension:
Front -
Custom SAS with HP Dana 30 from a Jeep YJ set up for spring over axle
BTF YJ SOA perches
Pro Comp 2.5" lifted YJ springs
BTF shackles
Warrior spring and shackle hangers
Custom hanger mounts
F-250 shock towers
Rancho RS5000's
Rough Country drop pitman arm
BTF crossover steering bracket with DOM links and heim joints
2" Slanted Body Lift

Rear -
Spring over axle with weld on perches
Warrior shackles
2" Tapered Blocks
Pro Comp ES3000 shocks on swaybar brackets
Homemade swaybar extensions
Relocated brake line with custom bracket

Drivetrain:

4wd transmission swap with electric transfer case that is now manual
KKM open element filter
Flowmaster Cat-back with Original 40 Series swapped in
Single Magnaflow high flow cat
Summit Manual Cutout after Y pipe
EGR delete
Motive 4.56 gears w/ Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube
Powertrax No-Slip locker
Skyjacker SS brake lines

What it was:
25390ex01.jpg

Then...
25390ex4.jpg

Then...
25390ex14.jpg

Then...
25390bumper4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thought you'd like that. Thanks man.

Some muddy ones
25390muddy4.JPG

Another trip (With my buddy's Tacoma on 35's)
25390muddy8.JPG

Looks good!

Scott

:D :p

Attachments

• Josh.jpg
    Josh.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 4,375

evoq007 said:
Looks good!

Scott

Thanks! And Caleb, you have way too much time on your hands. Go outside and do something productive, as in trying to sell your bumper to someone besides me! :D

j602 said:
Thanks! And Caleb, you have way too much time on your hands. Go outside and do something productive, as in trying to sell your bumper to someone besides me! :D

Actually im headign to work in a few mins..... How bout you try and sell my Bumper :p HAHA or you coudl jsut buy it, cuase you know it would make your Explorer lokk 100x better :D

Ok ill Give up, but man that X is looking good.... Need more Action Shots

XplorerKid said:
Actually im headign to work in a few mins..... How bout you try and sell my Bumper :p HAHA or you coudl jsut buy it, cuase you know it would make your Explorer lokk 100x better :D

Ok ill Give up, but man that X is looking good.... Need more Action Shots

Haha, you're crazy. Thanks man, I'll work on those action shots. ;)

Updates: Got my Christmas presents put on. KKM, and Maganaflow high flow cat. Had a pipe put in place of the first cat and the high flow welded in place of the second. Added a tad bit of HP and sounds great. Very close to a V8. Here's some pics(excuse the crappy quality, had to use my camera phone):

KKM installed
25390kkm.JPG

Maganflow cat
25390cat.JPG

New pipe in place of first cat
25390pipe.JPG

Up next: 4.56 gears and a locker!

Awesome, keep up the good work!

Updates! Updates! Updates!

Well, it's update time again. Got a few more things done. First off, I made some gap guards for the front out of pond liner. I was sick of seeing exposed engine parts and wanted to keep mud and crap out of the engine bay. They turned out great and only cost $10.00 for a 12'x1' piece of pond liner. Cut it to size and used pop rivets to hold it to the fenderwell.
Before:
25390wheelwell.JPG

After:
25390wheelwell1.JPG

I had my truck painted black after I bought it, because the green paint which was on it was in terrible shape; faded, scratched and chipped. Well, when I had it painted, they wanted to charge me $75.00 per door to paint the door jambs. I said no way! So, I finally got around to color matching them. I figured the easiest option was Herculiner, since I could brush it on and not have to mask off as much area since there was no spray. Also, it would provide a durable and solid step for entry into the vehicle. But basically all I was going for was to match the door jambs to the body color. Looks pretty sick, just need to do a few touch-ups.
Before:
25390door_jambs.JPG

After:
25390door_jambs1.JPG

In this picture, you can see what my next mod was :D
25390door_jambs2.JPG

GEARS! Woohoo!
I had Motive Gear 4.56's put in. The difference is incredible. This thing is so much more fun and pleasant to drive. I got back all the power I lost with the 33's. The greatest difference is at highway speeds. Before, I would have to put to the floor to get it to move. Needless to say it was a dog. Now it cruises great and I can pass with ease. Around town, it wasn't too bad with the 3.73's but the 4.56's were still a vast improvement. Acceleration is much better, and I'm already getting better MPG on only 1/4 of a tank. One of the best mods I've done to date. Up next: 6" Skyjacker and 35's! :D :bounce:

COngrats man that X is looking better and better

Hit me up on Aim if you get a Chance!

You got it. Thanks man.

Lookin good, how much was your regear, if you don't mind me asking?

BTW, nice sig :D

bmxking5 said:
Lookin good, how much was your regear, if you don't mind me asking?

BTW, nice sig :D

Lol, thanks. The regear ran me a little more than I wanted, but I was plenty willing to pay it because I wanted it done and the place that did it was just about my only option in town. Plus, they did great job. The labor wasn't too bad, about $180-$200. The parts are what kills it. The gears were about $230 (I chose to buy through the shop since they would be liable for the quality of the gears), then there was the bearing kit at about $50 - $60, gear oil at about $8-$10, and I think a couple other small things. All in all, my total price was $545.73. Money well spent.

Body lift out! SOA in!

Well, me and the old man have been working like crazy the past few days. We finished the carport so my truck will have a place to stay while we work on it. Here it is in the carport; a "before" picture, if you will.
25390carport2.JPG

So on to the first project! The first thing on the list was to rip out the body lift and get ready for the suspension. We finished it up yesterday. Yeah, that's right *****es, 2" of lift and 33's! woot!
25390nobodylift1.JPG

I think I might have some rubbing issues :D
25390rub.JPG

Now for the Spring Over Axle! We actually finished this in half a day. We're usually extremely slow and hardly ever finish a "bigger" project in one day. Here's a before pic of the stock SUA:
25390beforeSOA.JPG

And now the kickass SOA! With the shackles, I estimate it at about 7.5" of lift. It's got a wicked rake.
25390afterSOA2.JPG

25390afterSOA1.JPG

25390afterSOA3.JPG

25390afterSOA4.JPG

As soon as the Skyjacker parts come in, we'll start on that.

Looks good Josh. One problem, take off that rear sway bar. Sway bars are ghey. :p Can't wait to see it on 35s!

EDIT: Nice carport! I wish I had something like that to work on my truck in.

Thanks Bryan. If you look at the pics, there is no way that sway bar is going to work. It's about 6" from connecting up. I'm either going to make extensions for the endlinks or trash it altogether. Just hafta to see how it drives (I really don't wanna flip this thing :p ).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool josh, should look good.... Gunna get 35"s?

I also like the carport, wish i had some where like that to work, My jeeps to tall to fit in the garage, but when i need it in there, i have to, take the top off, take the over head console out, roll bar out, and fold down the winshield....

as i said, its gunan look good...

-Caleb

PS: min will still out flex =D

Back