• Register Today It's free!

Jack points?

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Does anyone know the jack points front and back so that i can put jackstands at the side points by the doors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The exact location will be shown in the user manual under the wheels and tires section, or the tire change section.

The exact location will be shown in the user manual under the wheels and tires section, or the tire change section.

The manual only depicts side jacking pts where I want to place jack stands. I know i can use the rear differential for the rear but anyone know a safe place to jack up the front end?

The last time I rotated my tires, I used two large floor jacks at the same time on the front. Hard to describe, but I placed them left and right on the front frame, right near some welded seams. I jacked the car up and placed jack stands on the outside jack points for the front.

Then I used a single jack on the rear differential, and placed jack stands on the rear outside jack points.

Regarding the front. There is a thin frame rail spanning the width of the front, but it is too thin to support the weight of the Explorer when using a single jack centered on that rail. Hence my decision to use two floor jacks placed more outboard on the front frame at stronger welded points. Not too many people have two full size floor jacks, so this is not likely a convenient solution for most people.

Regarding the front. There is a thin frame rail spanning the width of the front, but it is too thin to support the weight of the Explorer when using a single jack centered on that rail. Hence my decision to use two floor jacks placed more outboard on the front frame at stronger welded points. Not too many people have two full size floor jacks, so this is not likely a convenient solution for most people.

So i thought this front subframe that crosses left to right in between the wheels would be strong enough but it is not (as you mentioned). I used it but it started to dent in. Thankfully there is nothing there to get damaged. there is a robust transmission mount behind that but unfortunately it's elevated and has two bolts sticking out (see pic).

Bottom line: this vehicle does not have a center front jacking point to raise the whole front end. Next time I'll try your technique buzzard or do one side and then the other with one jack--maybe jacking where the front lower control arm attaches to the subframe.

Attachments

• 624625C2-05BC-4FB3-BC98-2B489D4B2951.jpeg
    624625C2-05BC-4FB3-BC98-2B489D4B2951.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,612

So i thought this front subframe that crosses left to right in between the wheels would be strong enough but it is not (as you mentioned). I used it but it started to dent in. Thankfully there is nothing there to get damaged. there is a robust transmission mount behind that but unfortunately it's elevated and has two bolts sticking out (see pic).

Bottom line: this vehicle does not have a center front jacking point to raise the whole front end. Next time I'll try your technique buzzard or do one side and then the other with one jack--maybe jacking where the front lower control arm attaches to the subframe.

I also tried the first time to jack using that thinner rail. I realized it immediately and stopped. I ended up using the area near the welds circled in your attached photo.

It is a bit of a challenge. Every car I've owned has had a beefy enough front subframe that can be jacked up in the center.

Attachments

• 624625C2-05BC-4FB3-BC98-2B489D4B2951.jpeg
    624625C2-05BC-4FB3-BC98-2B489D4B2951.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 2,665

I also tried the first time to jack using that thinner rail. I realized it immediately and stopped. I ended up using the area near the welds circled in your attached photo.

It is a bit of a challenge. Every car I've owned has had a beefy enough front subframe that can be jacked up in the center.

this looks like same spot as @Exit32 post, just one is black and other bright metal. I have an ST maybe that’s the difference

This has got me thinking about using a piece of 4x6 wood on the jack long enough to got from one side to the other of the location shown in post #6 to lift the entire front end in one go with the jack slid under from the front of the ST.

Opinions?

This has got me thinking about using a piece of 4x6 wood on the jack long enough to got from one side to the other of the location shown in post #6 to lift the entire front end in one go with the jack slid under from the front of the ST.

Opinions?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As long as the piece of lumber doesn't make contact with any other item underneath it might work but would it be stable without additional support?

Peter

Someone just pointed me at UniJacks on Amazon. Combo bottle jack & jack stand in one... You'd need two for the front & the price isn't too bad. Not sure why I haven't seen them before.
Piece of cake if there's two people & lift in sync, that's how we lift aircraft... although the jacks are somewhat bigger.

Apparently this ST is gonna allow me to buy more tools :)

The manual only depicts side jacking pts where I want to place jack stands. I know i can use the rear differential for the rear but anyone know a safe place to jack up the front end?
No, you can't use the rear differential. Says so in the manual. You can put jack stands under the rear spring mounts. Probably the fronts too. What are you trying to do?

No, you can't use the rear differential. Says so in the manual. You can put jack stands under the rear spring mounts. Probably the fronts too. What are you trying to do?
What about that cross member the pumpkin bolts to? My ST has the two bolts through it, not one like the later ones.

What about that cross member the pumpkin bolts to? My ST has the two bolts through it, not one like the later ones.

Ford states only the two pinch weld jack points on each side are acceptable for jacking. Any other spot you need to use your judgement.

There is a pinchweld spot in the front and one in the rear on each side

There is a pinchweld spot in the front and one in the rear on each side
Yup, but the issue (from looking at info online) was that we're expected to use the pinchwelds for the jacking point & for jack stand placement.... which makes life difficult as you can do one or the other, but not both. Then someone pointed me at UniJacks, which do exactly that.
The larger 6000lb version is 11in tall so it would just about fit under an ST, The 4000lb version is just under 9in tall. Measured the ST yesterday & had 11.25in at the front pinchweld & 11.75 inch at the rear.

Jack.PNG

Ford states only the two pinch weld jack points on each side are acceptable for jacking. Any other spot you need to use your judgement.
When I was installing the rear splash guards, it was easier to remove the rear wheels. I used my floor jack under the lower spring mounts (just enough to remove the wheel, install the guard and move to the other side. Those spring mounts look pretty stout.

Bazinga!
20220201_113222.jpg

20220201_113307.jpg

(4000lb version with the pin in the 4th hole gets the tire 1/2in off the ground.)

20220201_113243.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back