• Register Today It's free!

Jack stowage?

Boomyal

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Ltd
Does anyone have a picture of the correct jack and tool stowage? I just got this 2006 and decided to see if all was complete. Beside, I was getting a rattle out of the back end.

I found four parts, ie, the scissor jack, a round rod with an eye on one end and a lug wrench. These things were loosely secured within the hinged bracket. The fourth item, which I cannot identify, was sitting to the side. It is a black L bracket that is about 3-4" wide and about 4" long. It is bent in a little more than 90°. I am sure this is part of the system but do not know what it is for and how it is meant to be stowed.

A picture of a correct assemblage would be nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks sws, but that does not exactly look like my setup. They talk about a wingnut which mine does not have and I can not see this particular piece that looks very much a piece of the setup but I do not see in the pdf.

ExplorerJackpiece_zps8913bbc4.jpg

Additionally the PDF talks about a 'bag' which mine does not appear to have. I would like to see how all this stuff is supposed to be stacked and locked into its bracket.

I took out the wheel chock you have pictured, but the rest is bundled and stored correctly in this image (Never mind the jury rigged motor!):

DSC00534a.jpg

Ok, great pic but where is the 'wheel chock' supposed to go? ... and what is your 'jury rigged motor' for? Can you tell me if the scissor jack is standing upright or is it on its side?

I hate it when people throw away original things that come with their vehicle. I have to go to the salvage yard and find a new handle for my tool well door. Mine is broken. I will keep an eye out for an original bag, as well. It will sure keep things from rattling.

Wheel chock was tucked into the right end of that sack and the Velcro held it in place. I get more use out of it working on my cars than in the trunk. Doubt I'd ever use that gear to change the tire. The jack is standing upright. You can collapse it all the way down, secure it by the bracket, then twist the screw to raise it until it's really tight in there.

That ghetto motor setup saves me $250.00.

Wheel chock was tucked into the right end of that sack and the Velcro held it in place. I get more use out of it working on my cars than in the trunk. Doubt I'd ever use that gear to change the tire. The jack is standing upright. You can collapse it all the way down, secure it by the bracket, then twist the screw to raise it until it's really tight in there.

That ghetto motor setup saves me $250.00.

I read that post, Ornery. Good info to tuck away for the day.....

Thanks for all the help on the jack stowage. I'll be visiting a salvage yard to see if I can shag a bag for my utensils. On another note, Ford is aggravating. They won't supply individual parts, ala, rear seat motor/gearbox components, simple T-handles for broken brake release handles AND now, in my case, the plastic handle for the jack compartment panel/door. Mine is still there but the rim/frame is broken and they do not supply it. You would have to buy the whole hinged/carpeted panel for $253.00. That sucks.

That little bag could be replaced by rolling the tools in a bolt of felt.

The motor/ gearbox/ mechanism does make sense to sell as a unit, although $250 is steep.

It also makes sense to replace extraneous parts from a boneyard. They're still good quality, cheap and plentiful. Manufacturers can't keep producing obscure parts forever. If there is a real market for certain repair solutions, third party manufacturers, like Cardone, step in.

.....It also makes sense to replace extraneous parts from a boneyard. They're still good quality, cheap and plentiful. .....

Now my challenge is to find a selection of 2006-2010 Explorers in the local pick and pull bone yards. So far my search in the Portland OR area has turned up zilch. Many seem to have the 2002 and earlier, but so far I have not found any gen 4's that I can go pick clean.

Seems like most salvage yards now have websites with inventories listed. That is what I have been googling.

thanks for the pic! been struggling with this for months

Back