jacked up front-end - pic and question re: tranny job | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jacked up front-end - pic and question re: tranny job

94_explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Cotati, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
Ok, first of all, here's a picture of my truck jacked up in front. Are the jack stands ok where they are? There isn't much room in the middle there, so I'm not sure how I could maneuver the jack inbetween them to lower the tranny and pull it out of there. Any suggestions? What would be the best approach for getting the tranny and jack in and out of there?

On another note, when I loosen the jack handle to lower it down - it's not very gentle at all - it just kinda drops down quickly. Is that normal? I would think it would drop down a bit more smoothly.

jackstands_front.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm glad to see your using wooden supports for the jack stands :thumbsup: but they are dangerously way to small :eek: It wouldn't take much for a stand to Slide off to one side or potentially crush/split the end of the plywood causing the stand to fall over :( The jack stands should be centered at least 1.5" within the wooden support..

As for jack stand placement wider is better.. I have a '93 4x4 with TTBs so its slightly different than your setup, but I would lift the beams where your jack stands are and place the stands close to where the coil spring retainer bolt is located.

Floor jacks should be smooth as silk when raising a vehicle, but upon lowering many jacks are "jerky" do to the sudden opening up the release valve... You can try and grip the release handle with both hands to try to slowly rotate it counter clock wise... Its really a mixed bag with my Craftsman floor jack... I love everything about it but the release.. Sometimes its smooth and others it opens up too fast...

try using ramps instead of jack-stands - I think ramps are safer than using jacks. they may be just a tad more expensive than jack-stands but I trust them more.

There is no such thing as too much support when working under the vehicle. I always find a place for the jack and use it as additional "jack stand" support when I am working under a vehicle. I'm with DeRocha as to placement issues for you.

IZwack said:
try using ramps instead of jack-stands - I think ramps are safer than using jacks. they may be just a tad more expensive than jack-stands but I trust them more.

I second the ramps.

Back