James' 95' XLT 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

James' 95' XLT 4x4

This is my Explorer, I plan to use this thread to post pictures and show my restorations, personalizations, improvements and so on. I'll list my specs so there is no confusion.
1995 Ford Explorer XLT, 4x4, 4.0 OHV v6,
310,000 estimated miles
Bought new in November of 95', "the Explorer" has been in my family for over two decades. The Explorer has towed a 5,000 lb travel trailer, but currently it's used as a commuter and a tow vehicle for a utility trailer.
I will be updating this thread with pictures and fixes I find.

Problems(Updated December 2018):

Fails Emission Test for hydrocarbons,
Gauge Lights(Two are burnt out),
Odometer stopped working(works 1/3 of the time),

Passenger mirror has no horizontal adjustment,
Liftgate shocks need to be replaced,
12v outlets don't function(blows fuse),
ABS light is on,
Brake light is on,
Headlights need restoring,

GEM module, (4x4 lights flash, windows don't work)
Spotty 4x4 engagement at best,
Headlights need adjusting,

Cosmetic and other minor problems

Roof rack paint (faded & Chipping),
Bumpers (faded),

Cruise Control buttons(half the lights don't function),
Radio Bezel(will need replacing if another clip breaks),
Faded wiper arms,
B & D Pillars (faded),
Bug Deflector(cracked),
Grille (flaking),
Glass Window struts, 3/12/17

I'm usually a guy for stock vehicles but there are just a few mods I'm interested in doing:

Lights(most likely mounted in the air dam),
Push Bar,
Tow Hooks,
Limited Slip Differential(or maybe even an auto locker),
5.0 Swap(when I get the knowledge and a donor vehicle),
Exhaust,

Here is a quick picture I took of my explorer, it's old but nothing has changed.
WmSeTgO.jpg

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will be posting pictures more often on my special Instagram page: @95_explorer

Here are a couple pictures of the roof rack restoration I did. I'm very happy with the results and it makes the vehicle look so much newer.
http://imgur.com/a/lME25

Last edited:

Since I haven't made an update in a few months, here's what has been going on. (I just found out how to post pictures without needing to click on a link so I may post more now.)
VnLU9K3.jpg

Pictured above is my new headlights and restored bumper.
FCPzNOG.jpg

Above is the rear plastic bit that I also restored using Plasti-Dip, I later used it to restore every grey plastic part on the Explorer and to this day it still looks good.

Recently my transmission started to slip, and it only got worse from there when the speedometer stopped working and the transmission started shifting erratically. After some weeks of looking at craigslist and other for sale sites I decided that the Explorer is irreplaceable and I can't find a reasonably priced Explorer replacement in time. With that decided I took the Explorer to the shop and got my transmission rebuilt and the abs light fixed. Out the door the cost was roughly $2,200(heck of a lot cheaper than a new used explorer in this condition) and I'm happy my Explorer is fixed! My next fix should be the GEM module so I can have working windows, and possibly fix the 4x4.

Had to return the headlights because the adjusters broke. Currently trying to pass the emission test but she keeps failing for hydrocarbons. Made a video while I checked the cats for blockage. Exhaust right from the down pipe!

I've heard a 4.0 SOHC done exactly like this, video is no justice to how loud it is.

That SOHC truck, it had an AMAZING note for whatever reason, needed quietening down a bit, but it certainly was nice anyhow for what it was.

Was that the transmission first rebuild at 310k? If so, that's awesome for a 4r.
Vss in the tcase was more than likely the cause of the erratic shifting and bad speedo reading.

Hope that ohv gives you another 310k! Great engine year.

Was that the transmission first rebuild at 310k? If so, that's awesome for a 4r.
Vss in the tcase was more than likely the cause of the erratic shifting and bad speedo reading.

Hope that ohv gives you another 310k! Great engine year.
Unfortunately the original transmission was cooked by 80,000 for towing. The second one lasted well over 200,000 so I'm more than satisfied with it.
Looking back I'd have to agree with you, but at that point the transmission had already started to slip for the second time in it's lifespan. The horrendous shifting was caused by the vss though. I may have been able to get an extra year out of it.
That SOHC truck, it had an AMAZING note for whatever reason, needed quietening down a bit, but it certainly was nice anyhow for what it was.
Definitely agree, I drove it this morning around town and wow... It was loud. After putting everything back together it was surprising how quiet and refined the engine was. Still wondering about mufflers, though. :rolleyes:

Back