James Duff on a 97? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

James Duff on a 97?

feared100

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer XLT
I was wondering if the James Duff long arms and such would work on my 97 XLT for an SAS. I was told it was only for first gens. But I saw a youtube video of a "97" with the James Duff suspension components. Basically will it work? Yes? No?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They make (or are in the developmental stage of making) a SAS kit. If you don't see it on their web site, call them.

A kit for a 97? And I will make a call later to find out. Thank you!

A friend of mine has a 99 ranger (was torsion bar front same as second Gen ex) he did sas and used duff parts for early bronco and basically made it work . He is however a machine maker and welder.

I got a friend whose a fabricator. So he might be able to help. is your friend on here? Or does he have any pictures of it?

Well some of their bumpers fit first gen explorers. If that helps any.

The 1st Gen swap Duff Longarms, work just fine on a 2nd gen. Actually easier in my opinion than trying to make stock 79 radius arms work.

I had 97 2nd gen 4 dr black one with them on it. No big deal.

Mount a 1st Gen explorer steering box inside the frame rail.

Decide coil bucket towers and build track bar.

Early Bronco 5.5" Coils #5109 $170

3.5" Coils #5107 $160

HD Coil Buckets #5110 $125 For spring steel frames require drilling countersunk holes for mounting. We used 1/2" x 1 1/2" Flat Socket Caps, 1/2" flat washers and Nyloc Nuts. The placement and number of bolts will vary depending on bucket placement and lift height and if the end user is going to stretch the wheelbase.

Lower Retainers #5120 $75 If using EB coil springs, no modification necessary. If using a larger wire diameter coil (like 78-79 springs), it will require either stripping a little of the coating or opening up the retainer loop a touch.

Stage 3 Long Travel Tubular Arms #5351 $749

New Bolt on Dual Shock mounts #5225 $100

Track bar drop bracket #5410 $149

12" Travel Shocks #8114 $36x4=$144 Taller lifts could use our 15" travel #8120 which run $45 each

C-bushings Depends on lift height $29-39

This is from JamesDuff.com

I emailed them. This is what they sent me back.

Can anyone vouch for this parts list and if theres anything else youd need and or what kind of lift this would provide

Bump I would love to know if someone made this work. Pic would be great.

that was the parts list i got from them, and i have not done anything with it yet. More towards a couple years down the road.

Back