Completed Project - jamest's "RE-SAS" | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project jamest's "RE-SAS"

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
... or SAS pt.II, or SAS redeux, or axle remix thread. :p:

As some of you know, ive recently got a 94 sport that is the typical fullwidth HP44 with coils/arms, fullwidth 9" type swap. Its currently on radial 36" Iroks.

Right now im lowering it down 4" and extending the wheelbase a couple of inches. It wheels great but its just too tall for what i want to do. Ive got some Bilstein 7100's in the mail and my general idea is to make this more of a dual sport type rig that can get it on the rocks and also be able to blast some fire roads and play on the sandbars here in the summer.

Currently the truck has 4" blocks under the back and a "W" shaped set of hybrid 4 door packs. Im going to take the blocks out, throw on a freshened set of low mile 4door leaves with the overload removed, run anti-wrap pertches with the holes redrilled to move the rear back on the springs 2".

Pic below is why you DONT run shock boots. This was an Arizona rig and never really saw any mud after sureshot40sw bought it-

Attachments

• sas1.jpg
    sas1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4,786

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey I saw you and your rig heading up I-30 today, I'm guessing you were heading to superlift

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yep, that was us! Was going to stay all weekend but my spotter wasnt feeling too good so we came home last night.

Doing a little reworking-

Memorial weekend at Hot Springs i finally busted out the driver's side rear window. Up until now we thought this was some kind of bulletproof glass. The rig had been layed over on this window many times and it had deep rock scratches in it. Go figure, first obstical of the day and 'boom'.

So ive decided to go permanently window and doorless and add to the cage a bit. Im cutting the door bars out and redoing them... the way i had them was a compromise and honestly they didnt serve much purpose. The bend in them with no support made them very weak.

Attachments

• sas77.jpg
    sas77.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 804

I ran everything i took off over the bathroom scales and ditching the windows, doors, and hatch shaved off nearly 400lbs! Friggin sport doors are 92lbs each! When im finally done with the rig im going to run the whole thing across the scales. Bets on what it'll weigh?

Anyhoo, Im finally doing an X brace in the B-pillar. I didnt do this before because i wanted full passenger access to the back seat. After taping it off and sitting in it i realized it's actually not in the way.

Second pic shows were im at. Im also going to build a rack over the spare tire with a tube gate of sorts that will hold the spare in place. Ill be able to store tools and recovery gear in front of and around the spare while having the rack free to strap down other stuff.

Attachments

• sas79.jpg
    sas79.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 833
  • sas76.jpg
    sas76.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,145

If you were to put the X brace behind the behind the rear seats would you lose the support that it provides?

Yea, a little bit. It's going to add the most strength in the B-pillar.

It wont be in the way... with the tape up there i still had room to get in and out and room for my legs.

Good to know, I don't know when the cage will happen but I hope someday soon. To many projects!

I hear ya! I didnt get anything done on this yesterday so i hope to get it wrapped up wednesday and thursday. Ive only got 12 things going on at one time. :D

Nice build! I would love to put my explorer on a diet like you did... to bad I live in the north west, it gets to cold and wet to be open like that.

B pillar X is in and painted. Ill start working on the door bars on monday

Attachments

• sas80.jpg
    sas80.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 773
  • sas81.jpg
    sas81.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 773

Thanks! It's a blast to drive around doorless.

New door bars done-

Attachments

• sas82.jpg
    sas82.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 807

Awesome build. My favorite sport on this site by far. kudos!

Thanks! Im gonna try to get started on the beadlocks next week.

i have no idea why i've never read your build up before, but nice work!

the salt up here has put a lot of cancer in my rockers that i need to cut out. I'm thinking the first and second gens are not too different, so i'll be cutting my rockers up like you did, except I'll probably weld the 2x3 to the body. Any reason i shouldn't?

Go for it. Even with the 2x3 in place you gain a ton of clearance. And 1st an 2nd gen. rockers are the same.

Great build. I have a sport also and man have you given me some ideas. Also i had no idea anyone from this part of illinois had an built up ex.

Dunno why i never updated this, but man this thing is so much nicer to wheel with no doors. ALOT more visibility.

Attachments

• 547111_441940619150141_948159822_n.jpg
    547111_441940619150141_948159822_n.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 625

WoW this is a Cool Build!!!!!

Back