Completed Project - jamest's "RE-SAS" | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project jamest's "RE-SAS"

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
... or SAS pt.II, or SAS redeux, or axle remix thread. :p:

As some of you know, ive recently got a 94 sport that is the typical fullwidth HP44 with coils/arms, fullwidth 9" type swap. Its currently on radial 36" Iroks.

Right now im lowering it down 4" and extending the wheelbase a couple of inches. It wheels great but its just too tall for what i want to do. Ive got some Bilstein 7100's in the mail and my general idea is to make this more of a dual sport type rig that can get it on the rocks and also be able to blast some fire roads and play on the sandbars here in the summer.

Currently the truck has 4" blocks under the back and a "W" shaped set of hybrid 4 door packs. Im going to take the blocks out, throw on a freshened set of low mile 4door leaves with the overload removed, run anti-wrap pertches with the holes redrilled to move the rear back on the springs 2".

Pic below is why you DONT run shock boots. This was an Arizona rig and never really saw any mud after sureshot40sw bought it-

Attachments

• sas1.jpg
    sas1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4,802

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another PITA if i would have went through the dash- the center downbars. I really wanted them as they add alot of lateral strength. Say goodbye to most of the defrost if they went into the stock dash at the windshield.

Oh well... ugly truck, ugly cage (at least at the A pillar) no biggie i just want to wheel it. Its probably gonna wind up OD green anyway so there's really no point in going out of my way to make things look nice. :p:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Danny that's exactly what I really want to do for my cage right there.

Jeff - :navajo:

Well, i just got back from the first trail ride in this rig's current form. It did awesome, held up to several full throttle assaults without drama. Shamed a few big dogs even. :p: After winching several over the exit ledge on Houston Creek i went around and hit it and made it 1st try.

I became everyone's recovery vehicle and burned my winch up. Im hoping its just a solenoid. It stopped suddenly with no warning, no noise, and the motor was warm but not hot. :dunno:

Gas tank is now custom high clearance unit. I cant believe its bashed in that far and not leaking.

Rear springs are W'ed. :rolleyes: I need help... ive gotta figure out a way to squeeze a traction bar in there somewere.

Attachments

• sas29.jpg
    sas29.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 913
  • sas30.jpg
    sas30.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 959

Nice custom springs. Mine are getting close to that now too.
One friggin' trip. :rolleyes: I figured surely id get a few runs out of them... my right foot gets retarded sometimes.

One of these days id like to replace them with Nationals/Deavers/whatever.

Im going to figure out a way to get the typical heim jointed traction bar in there, its just going to be a PITA.

On the plus side, i got to do a little high speed testing and now i really REALLY want to get the rear shocks on. I scooted across some washes in the main area lot at about 45mph and the front just floated perfect. The rear was major pogo action though. :p: Getting the rear shocks on and some airbumps will make this thing nice.

Where are the pics?

Where are the pics?
sureshot40sw has them. I was too busy jumping stuff and winching/straping everyone else to take pics. :p: When he gets around to emailing them ill post them up.

I just realized you don't have the overload in. Maybe that's the difference, because I do. Mine are still turning into the "W" but I'm guessing the overload is slowing down the process.

I'll either be doing a 3 or 4 link sometime.

I'll either be doing a 3 or 4 link sometime.

and I'll be filling my truck full of hookers and racing the Baja 1,000

the only difference is that I may actually do this in this decade.

Yea, no overload. The thing is, if they were in i would have hung them up alot this weekend. The front leading edge of bottom leaf on both sides is a slider lol.

Ive considered linking it, but with moving the tank and the $$$ it would turn into another jackstand rider. Im going to make due for now i guess.

and I'll be filling my truck full of hookers and racing the Baja 1,000

the only difference is that I may actually do this in this decade.
I'm going to buy a house (next two months probably), SAS the van and convert it to 4wd, cut the top off the explorer and cage it and then I'll link the rear... I don't have the casheesh to buy and sell 30k boats and trucks to pay for my shiz. :p: :D

Yea, no overload. The thing is, if they were in i would have hung them up alot this weekend. The front leading edge of bottom leaf on both sides is a slider lol.

Ive considered linking it, but with moving the tank and the $$$ it would turn into another jackstand rider. Im going to make due for now i guess.
3 link with the links outside the frame and a panhard. Winter figured it was possible with no need to move anything. That's probably what I'll be doing.

My own mix of OD from local paint shop- "jamest mouth for war green" :D :salute:

All i have left to do is the front fenders, hood, and rear hatch.

Attachments

• sas31.jpg
    sas31.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 844

i like the od brown better (desert storm). this is cool though :D

All i have left to do is the hood and front fenders. Its supposed to rain all week so ill have pics this weekend. :)

wife- "Well, you proved me wrong."

me- "What do you mean honey?"

wife- "I said a while back that i didnt think you could make that thing any uglier. [laughing]

Ouu green, perfect :)

Yup, its ugly alright. I dig it. :D

Attachments

• sas33.jpg
    sas33.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 814
  • sas32.jpg
    sas32.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2,467

Hehe, looks nice!. You and Burns need to start the Green Explorer Coalition.

That came out super sick. I like it. Your wife is crazy. :D

I like it! So you painted all of the truck with that foam roller? I assume you taped off trim and windows and what not?

Back