jamest's "RE-SAS" | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jamest's "RE-SAS"

... or SAS pt.II, or SAS redeux, or axle remix thread. :p:

As some of you know, ive recently got a 94 sport that is the typical fullwidth HP44 with coils/arms, fullwidth 9" type swap. Its currently on radial 36" Iroks.

Right now im lowering it down 4" and extending the wheelbase a couple of inches. It wheels great but its just too tall for what i want to do. Ive got some Bilstein 7100's in the mail and my general idea is to make this more of a dual sport type rig that can get it on the rocks and also be able to blast some fire roads and play on the sandbars here in the summer.

Currently the truck has 4" blocks under the back and a "W" shaped set of hybrid 4 door packs. Im going to take the blocks out, throw on a freshened set of low mile 4door leaves with the overload removed, run anti-wrap pertches with the holes redrilled to move the rear back on the springs 2".

Pic below is why you DONT run shock boots. This was an Arizona rig and never really saw any mud after sureshot40sw bought it-

Attachments

• sas1.jpg
    sas1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4,782

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

BTW is that the way that shock is supposed to be ran -- body up? Just wondering cauz I ran my rear shocks like that (which was upside down according to Explorer Pro Comp) and the ride was super harsh.
These are the fancy RSX or whatever they're called... they have the adjuster knob thingy on the bottom and are supposed to run upsidedown. :) Lowest setting is mushy/crappy, highest setting is harsh/crappy, all other settings are varying degrees of crappy. :p: Hopefully by christmas ill have a matching set of 7100's for the back too. I am a "nice shock" believer now.

procomp%20MX-6R%20shock.jpg

154_0708_04_z+1997_jeep_wrangler_tj+pro_comp_coils.jpg

Certain shocks are directional and they loose all effect if you run them the wrong way but a day after you flip them over they're fine but JamesT looks good to go. It's just like laying a fridge on it's side, don't use it for a day...yup...just like that...

Ah thanks -- so thats what they look like.

MX6- yea thats what they are. Had a brain fart for a second. :p: Either way, their time is limited.

Looks great James.

Bro MX6's are the Robby Gordon shock, they gotta be good.
First off Robby Gordon is a #####... there i said it... second LOL, im sure they're really good for "box store" shocks... i dont doubt that... but compared to Fox/King/Billy well its like comparing the 5th grade bully to circa 2006 Chuck Liddell. :p: 3rd, my bill is not flat its curved old school hog hunter style. :D

Bilsteins were not my first choice for decent shocks, but i get a supreme discount through work. Long story short, my 3 choices were Rancho, ProComp, and Bilstein.

Oh, and tomorrow sometime inbetween hunting i plan on doing some testing to get data for bumpstops and straps. There will be a tractor involved. :D

Rear shocks ordered today. :)

I got the thing flexed out last week, but forgot the camera. Rear leaves flex AWESOME. I was shocked. Only thing i can think of is moving the rear back, the housing is closer to the center of the spring and gets more travel. Either way, the ride and flex is sweet. Now i need to do some up/down travel testing to get bumpstops set.

Been working on the front fenders, cutting more out and getting the opening lined up centered with the tire. Lip rolled on the edge for prettyness... its hard to tell from the pics. I hope to start working on the rear this weekend.

The drivers front tire rubbed on the horn so i had to cut it off. :confused:

Attachments

• sas14.jpg
    sas14.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,106
  • sas15.jpg
    sas15.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,808

First off Robby Gordon is a #####... there i said it... second LOL, im sure they're really good for "box store" shocks... i dont doubt that... but compared to Fox/King/Billy well its like comparing the 5th grade bully to circa 2006 Chuck Liddell. :p: 3rd, my bill is not flat its curved old school hog hunter style. :D

LOL, Robby Gordon wouldn't run this shock on his kid's wagon. From what I've heard is that he builds his own race shocks. They can be "rented" for a race for some crazy price like $5,000 and you need to sign a contract stating that you won't split them open to see the magic Robby G. internals.

And I question your flatbiller status with those white fenders. For those white fenders I award you

flatbiller-9.gif

James looks like we need to have a beer and phone conversation, look forward to your phone ringing sometime soon.

Nice work!

BTW Robbie called me and said your on his **** list, and he wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. :p:

Jeff - here's a beer to put out the fire, your firend -----> :navajo:

Danny- fenders arent white they are light grey primer... but it was tempting to paint them white and slap on a kottonmouth kings sticker. :p:

stonedjohn- Ive got some pliers i made, just two pieces of plate welded to them at the teeth. Lets say you want a 1" lip... cut fender out 1" smaller than what you want to end up with. Draw a line 1" above, following line with pliers bend just a LEEEETLE bit all the way around. Next pass a little more, next pass a little more, once you get it around 45 degrees hammer it to 90 degrees with your bodyhammer. Once done, go back over it with the hammer and a dolly on the backside to get out hammer marks. I didnt take alot of time on the last step... up close you can still see a few marks but the EB i did last time looked factory.

shinerbockorus jeffasaur- holler anytime. Work 7am-3pm mon-fri, other than that im good. :)

Plans are to start on the rear fenders this weekend between stalking in the woods time. Im getting a bunch of time off around Christmas and plan to start on the cage then.

I started on the rear fenders today-

Didnt get as much done as planned... between working on random kids bicycles and helping neighbor(s) with their stuff im behind in shedyule.

Anyhoo, inside plastic panel thingy got chopped to hell. It will be finished out with some fiberglass once the cage is in. Inner fenders are getting stretched to go with the new rear opening.

Just to keep me from searching... anyone know what the computer looking box thingy with the harness is on the driver's side inner fender? Not the wiper control box but the other one?

Attachments

• sas16.jpg
    sas16.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,081

Fender openings now prove without a doubt you can run 40's, maybe even 42's, on a sport with 5.5" lift and keep it full body. :D Ill have it finished this weekend and have pics up. Inners are getting stretched and plated.

Quick outside shot as i was cutting/dealing with previous owner fender trimming. Mudtrapping fingers of doom. THANKS PHIL! :p:

Attachments

• sas17.jpg
    sas17.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,088

its your 4x4 controle modual.

Ah, so throwing it in the trash is not so good idea huh? :p: Im new to 1st gens so bare with me. Why the need for 3 harnesses and 5 million wires to go to some box to control 2 switches that run the transfer case?

Back