Jammed door lock prevents opening the door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jammed door lock prevents opening the door

field

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 SOHC 2WD EXPLORER
My 1999 Explorer's rear door lock jammed so hard that a body shop repairman could not get it open. He removed the outside bottom front window weather strip, but could not even get a 'jimmy' to pull the lock loose.

He suggested removing the inside door covering. I got the part that contains the window switch out but the rest of the inside door covering will not budge. It's supposed to have clips along the edges.

Does anyone know how to release the clips?

I had that problem with mine a few years ago. There are clips around the edge of the door panel You just pull on the door panel to get it off. The problem is, you can't get the door panel off with the door closed. If I remember correctly, I pulled it as far as I could and reached down from the top and pulled on the rod that goes to the handle. What happens is the spring in the latch that holds tension on the rod gets weak and it's similar to trying to unlock a door while attempting to pull the handle at the same time. Everything gets jammed. I couldn't find a rear latch, so I took a tiny bungee cord and attached it to the rod to keep tension on it. I'm not sure how the belt moulding comes off, (some cars are easy) but I've seen it done on a Corolla that had a similar problem and the latch was accessible that way

Heollo Nameskreen,

"There are clips around the edge of the door panel You just pull on the door panel to get it off. The problem is, you can't get the door panel off with the door closed. VERY TRUE!

If I remember correctly, I pulled it as far as I could and reached down from the top and pulled on the rod that goes to the handle. What happens is the spring in the latch that holds tension on the rod gets weak and it's similar to trying to unlock a door while attempting to pull the handle at the same time. Everything gets jammed.

THE BODY SHOP REPAIRMAN TRIED TO PULL THAT ROD FOR HALF AN HOUR WITH 4 DIFFERENT TOOLS UNSUCCESSFULLY..

I couldn't find a rear latch, so I took a tiny bungee cord and attached it to the rod to keep tension on it. I'm not sure how the belt

moulding

THAT'S OUTSIDE WEATHER STRIPPING. THERE IS A LITTLE SCREW UNDER THE STRIP ABOVE THE HINGES

i DO NT KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN BY BELT MOLDING

comes off, (some cars are easy) but I've seen it done on a Corolla that had a similar problem and the latch was accessible that way"

So how did you get the inside panel off with the door closed or did the bungee cord cause the lock mechanism to be released?

Many Thanks,
Field

The belt molding is the black molding on the outside, below the window.(where the bottom of the window and the top of the door skin meet) I got the door open by being able to pull the top of the door panel back enough to get to the rod

Back