Jardine/Doug Thorley Cat back anyone??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jardine/Doug Thorley Cat back anyone???

samickguy15

Reaction score
City, State
Delavan, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer
Anybody run one? I just picked up a brand new setup on the bay for less than $200 to replace the rotted apart MAC on the Mounty. Just curious if anybody knows how it will sound. If it sounds like a$& I could always cut the muffler out...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jardines are nice for the $$$. my Honda CBR 600RR had a slip on jardine exhaust. it was nice, but the damn thing was so loud I needed to ride with ear plugs! Never heard of jardine having quality issues, so if you want a screamer, you might have just found a nice bargain.

I was considering those for quite a while now. The seller I was watching raised the shipping rate :thumbdwn: so that made me wait.

Well I will dig up my post since I never finished it. I bought and installed the exhaust about this time last year. It's pretty quiet. Has some slight interior and exterior noise, but not much at all. Nothing like what a Flowmaster would give you. Fitment was not real great and had to shorten the tail some. Other than that though, I was pleased. I coated it several times with silver high temp paint, so hopefully she will hold together for a few years longer.

Was this the part you installed?

doug-thorley-headers-86223.gif

Doug Thorley Headers Doug Thorley Single Exit Exhaust System Single Exit Exhaust. Fits the Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer from 1996 to 1998.
Brand: Doug Thorley Headers, Mfr Part#: 86223

That is what I installed. So far everything is still holding up well. It looks like the pipe inside the chrome tip is starting to get rusty, but other than that no complaints.

Was there a Y-Pipe that came with the set-up? How did they address bringing the two exits from the cats into one pipe?

On that note, no, that is NOT the setup I installed, although it is essentially identical, with the exception of the muffler. My muffler was a dual inlet single outlet.

I'm trying to decide how I want to deal with the 3 bolt flange that marries my OEM muffler to the catalytic converter.

By the way, does anybody know the pipe diameter size from the the flange to the muffler? They look to be about 2 1/4", but could it be as small as 2"? I'm thinking that I can cut the muffler, then use a Y-Pipe to run any muffler I want.

My plan is to connect to the flange with a Y-Pipe, maybe use a Cherry Bomb, followed by a Walker mid pipe. Any opinions? Does this sound like a set-up that can work?

31MRYCB81YL._SS500_.jpg

glasspacks-cutaway_lg.jpg

21NDLMojd4L._SS500_.jpg

Back