Jasper Re-Man Engine: Break in period? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jasper Re-Man Engine: Break in period?

well it is supposed to take 5w30

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea at very first i thought that would be it.. but then realized that there are thousands of cars on the road with 10-30 that are recommended for 5-30 or 5-20 and dont sound like this. Either way, ill be doing my 500 mile oil change in a few days and putting 5-30 in it so we'll see what happens.

i cant wait to get a few K on it so i can hit the gas and see what its got... my foots itchin :cool:

i know with 10w30 in mine my timing chains rattled more

Im having trouble determining whether its the timing chains or the lifters.. but like i said , 5w30 is going in it this week.

ill make sure to let you know if its any different that way you can give me the royal "told ya so" ;)

After the motor is fully warmed, it doesn't matter if it has 5W or 10W. The 5 and 10 measure the weight cold. The 30 is at operating temp. I couldn't see that making the difference. I hope its nothing major though!!

I think the first thing on my list would be to let Jasper know. Also, that engine on ebay...I have to use most of my old parts, including the oil pan if I want the low oil sensor. I do have a brand new engine wiring harness and coil pack I don't need but no idea what years they will fit. Sounds like neither one of us got a good deal!

Yea if it doesnt go away by the end of this week ill be making a few phone calls. Plus im curious to see what the oil looks like when it comes out-- give me a good sign if something is chattering away in there. Hell, its 36month 75000 mile warranty, whats the difference if i have to pull it before or after it breaks :rolleyes: ... i really dont wanna do all that work again :(

you bought that one that i posted? I talked to the guy and he said id basically have to replace the whole top half- which i kinda had to do with the jasper anyways... but i felt more comfortable dealing with jasper-- especially now with this tapping.

update:

well this stupid tapping sound is getting worse and worse. Tomorrow morning ill probably be spending some time on it. But I gotta admit, im sort of dissapointed. I had higher expecations from a Jasper engine. I mean i paid 3 grand for this thing.... its making this horrible sound, its been 1000 miles and the oil pan gasket is leaking, and i have antifreeze leaking from somewhere too (not enough to get on the ground, you can just see fresh droplets formed on some parts after every ride... but it's so little i cant find out where its originating from.)

all in all, i really dont need this crap in the middle of this semester. I had my first calc 5 exam about a week and a half after i finished putting in the new engine and ended up bombing it. Ive been two weeks behind in my classes because of this damn thing- and now all i want in the whole world is "piece of mind" so i can concentrate on my grades. Hell, i wouldnt even mind if someone said "thats your oil pump making the tapping, thats the waterpump leaking antifreeze, you need a new pinion seal.... but DONT WORRY, it will make it until summer for you to fix" (yea id consider that "good news" right now :confused: )

ok im going to bed.. ive learned through lots of experience; Stress can't bother you when you're sleeping ;)

Back