Javi say "Hello!" from Barcelona, Spain! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Javi say "Hello!" from Barcelona, Spain!

JaviM-BCN

Reaction score
City, State
Barcelona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Hello everyone!

I am Javi, American car lover from Barcelona, northern Spain. :)
I'm also enthusiast of DIY, mechanics and engineering, reason for what I dared some months ago to buy a beautiful 1991 model XLT Explorer.

I felt in love with that car as soon as I drove it from the very first time! Riding that classic truck makes me feel the road on a really different way. Also, this model is full of american-style tiny details that reminds me how exotic and different this car is, compared to our European SUVs.

My oldie, commissioned the 92, is now around 170,000 km (105,000 miles). It runs quite well, but still some fine-tuning pending after the previous owner let the truck unused and unattended for a long time.

I'll post and share any useful information I'd find making the small overhauls I'll do! And I'll also ask you for your help in order to find spare parts, as in Europe we have not such a huge and rich spare parts market as you have on the US.
:chug:

Serviced until now:

- Transfer case and clutch oil replaced. The low range gear wasn't working well before
- Neutral security switch replaced. Unable to crank with the key before!
- Front wheels bearings replaced.

In progress:

- Front brake calipers replacement or rebuilding. Right now I can't drive safe as the pistons get stuck and the brake hot after pushing the brake pedal. After visual inspection, it looks like the hoses are great, and the (plastic-made) caliper pistons have already reached the end of their operating span.

Regards and my best wishes!
Javi

P.S: Later I'll edit to attach some pics!

Glad to have you on our forum:chug:

Welcome to the forum Javi.

Back