JBA Ceramic Coated vs Borla

Ronin8002

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT Ironman
After getting my new shocks installed, I've decided to put on some headers to replace the factory ones.

Truckperformance.com has Borla headers for 379 bones and JBA cat4ward ceramic coated headers for 679 bones. I know the benefit of having ceramic coating is a dramitic reduction in underhood temps. This is a concern of mine because my KKM draws air from under the hood.

Questions:

Is the hefty price tag of the JBA's worth it, given that they won't heat up the air under my hood so much and therefore cause my KKM to draw cooler air?

Does having uncoated headers of any kind produce higher underhood temps than the OEM factory headers?

Will drawing hotter air degrade my engine's performance/economy significantly?

Would it be bad to wrap the Borlas to reduce underhood temps?

Any guidance on all of this would be greatly appreciated. Also, just wanted to thank everyone on this board again for the good and helpful insight on the performance mods I've done thus far....I've been very pleased with the results. :D

-James

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have JBAs and love them. Granted, they are expensive; and not very cost effective in terms of power gain (none are for the OHV 6). Unless you have bad stock manifolds or extensive power mods, headers probably aren't for you.

The general consensus is that the JBAs are the highest quality units and fit the best. The BBKs don't fit quite as well but are reasonable for the price drop. The Borlas are good units but do have higher underhood temps than the coated ones. But they do have the same corrosion resistance as the coated ones since they're stainless. Getting headers that aren't stainless or coated is not very smart, as they'll corrode quickly.

My 2 cents for the moment.

JBA doesn't make headers for a 4.0 OHV? Oh well. If headers are not the most cost effective mod to make at this point....any suggestions as to which mods might be most beneficial to my vehicle (horsepower wise) at this point? Or have I reached a dead end as far as bolt on mods are concerned?

I doubt I will S/C anytime soon, if ever....even if my truck could handle it (or I could afford it).

What about a comp cam or regearing or a rebuild....what might be some of the cost/benefits from those?

-James

I meant headers in general aren't cost effective for the OHV, JBA or otherwise.

Regearing or a new cam are other power options.

I'm in agreement with you Alec...I have the JBA ceramic headers and I didnt notice any improvement in performance or sound. I would much rather have spent the money elsewhere like on a locker but oh well, they are installed already. I'm convinced that any type of intake or exhaust mod isnt worth the price for the performance( or lack therof) for Rangers or Ex's. A new
muffler is as far as i'd go with the intake/exhaust mods but thats just me.

why dont you go with the borla ceramic coated headers, the fit really good and they are coated, also they arent as much as the jba's

Back