• Register Today It's free!

JBL headunit, but no Subwoofer?

therangersteve

Reaction score
City, State
Gallitzin, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer
This one has me shaking my head a bit. Picked up a used aftermarket radio off the forum and thought it would be simple as could be. This thing has been one headache after another. I thought I had what I needed to install in the dash, I didn't. Thought the harness on it would plug into the car since it was from another explorer, it won't. So I went to grab a new set of wires and it said I needed the adapter for the JBL system. Now the headunit says JBL on the tape deck part, and there is a six disc in the armrest. But there's no sub, I have the storage compartment there. I cant imagine someone would take out the sub enclosure to put in a pocket. So do I have a JBL system or not? I know in the quick reference section it says if there's no sub then it's not a JBL. Has anybody heard of this?

Here's the radio, does this look like your JBL headunits?

8749796864_2d6cd09d54_b.jpg

I am confused... you said you purchased an aftermarket radio, the picture looks like one of the OEM stereos? If its OEM stereo to OEM wiring harness, you need to find a wiring harness for the stereo, and will probably end up having to connect the wires (should be color to color match). Not a big deal if your comfortable soldering & heat shrinking the connections.

If you bought an aftermarket stereo, you need to find the correct harness for the stereo (I'd recommend calling Cruthfield and have their tech's figure out what you need), use the old plug-in harness from your previous stereo, connect the two, and just plug it in.

I am confused... you said you purchased an aftermarket radio, the picture looks like one of the OEM stereos? If its OEM stereo to OEM wiring harness, you need to find a wiring harness for the stereo, and will probably end up having to connect the wires (should be color to color match). Not a big deal if your comfortable soldering & heat shrinking the connections.

If you bought an aftermarket stereo, you need to find the correct harness for the stereo (I'd recommend calling Cruthfield and have their tech's figure out what you need), use the old plug-in harness from your previous stereo, connect the two, and just plug it in.

You need to re-read what he said.

As for the O.P.
You have 3 threads for the same topic so far. I suggest you contact a mod to merge them all together.

You need to re-read what he said.

As for the O.P.
You have 3 threads for the same topic so far. I suggest you contact a mod to merge them all together.

Actually it can be deleted. I started the other thread after getting nowhere here for days. I gave up and gave the radio to my brother for his ranger. Seems that I do have the audiophile level but no sub. As weird as that sounds it's what seems to be the case. I'll keep what I've got and deal with the less than great sound quality. Spending my money in other areas on the rig.

Back