jbl premium sound problem fixed

97EDB

Reaction score
City, State
yankton,SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 eddie bauer
hey everyone,
my brother has a 96 ex and lately his sub has been sounding like...well...poop i had him order an aftermarket one and told him i would do the install since he didnt know anything about that tyoe of thing..so we get the panel off and while i noticed it earlier i could of swore the speaker was cutting out...not blown..it was scratchy and still had pressure just sounded blown(its hard to explain unless you have been around alot of stereos) so i make sure to wiggle everywire while it was playing and try to find the short but nothing. After removing the woofer i pushed on the cone and surround from underneath to see if i could find the tear in the surround...still nothing so i unplugged the wire and before the wire came off the terminal spade the sound got better..HA so i looked closer and found the block the terminals are mounted to was so loose on the rivet it was rotating freely.

so after finding that out i noticed the sound was coming from the tinsels slapping the cone...made an adjustment to make everything clear and magically the poop sound was gone! i squeezed the rivet with some pliers and laid a bead of super glue to the block and basket of the woofer and tested it out and wham...everything sounds normal again..

i gotta know if anyone else has had this issue or if ya just assumed it was blown and threw it out the door??? i know they do blow easily..my 94 ex and both my 90 and 95 thunderbird sc's all had blown ones when i got them.

check it out if ya ever have this problem..maybe it will save ya a few bucks

Back