JBL stock system still sounds good | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JBL stock system still sounds good

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Any of you guys still running the stock head unit, amp, and speakers on a 1st gen with the JBL system? My Limited is still all stock (besides replacing the 6.5 sub a few times and adding a hardwired modulator). I used to have the stock CD player but it died so I picked up a used JBL tape deck and it's fine again (I don't do CDs anyway).

These speakers and all are getting to be like 15 years old, and I'm always cruising with the volume up pretty high and they haven't turned to dust. My friend has a '94 Thunderturd (a beater) with normal stock speakers and they were all junk (I bought her $10 worth of new Ford speakers from ebay and put them in cuz I felt bad). JBL does make good stuff though, including the Ford/JBL factory audio system.

Fidelity might not be the best but I think it's pretty good. 9 speakers total

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i replaced my front stock jbl system speakers with sony's(and will be doing the rears)..made a big differance in sound..much cleaner sound now. otherwise everything else is stock. i'm really happy with it at this time.

Someday I'll just switch to a Mcintosh deck, amps, and speakers :thumbsup:

I hear ya. My 92 Taurus SHO has the JBL sound system (same setup that explorers had) including the 6.5 sub in a slightly larger enclosure. I've had people ride with me that can't believe the sound system is stock.
While it's never gonna win any sound competition, I love how good it sounds, how everything works together (the Taurus has remote volume, memory, and seek controls high on the dash)

Best of all, I don't feel like I have to worry about someone smashing my window out and destroying my dashboard to steal my radio.

Back