JBL System Runs Battery Down.. Amp location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JBL System Runs Battery Down.. Amp location

themurf

Reaction score
City, State
Mason, Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 Explorer
My '97 Explorer JBL system runs the battrey down over about two days. I have do an amp test using several different diagnostic methods and the only way I can get the key off power draw under 30ma is to pull the fuse on the JBL system. I have looked at the schematic and the circuit related to the fuse is always on (bypasses the key power switch). At this point I would like to find the amp location, pull it and see if I can find the problem, repair it and continue to use the system. However, a search of the internet does not yeild the location of the amp system. Can anyone here advise me of the location of the amps. Thanke, themurf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The amps are mounted on the subwoofer enclosure.

You'll need to pull off the whole right rear interior panel to get to them.

Thanks, I'll get a look there.

Thanks

Amp found but it has a problem, Any advice?

I found the amp exaclty where it was installed. And it is, in fact, my dead battery problem. It draws over 1/2 amp even with the key off. this is enough to drain the battery in about three days if the car is not driven in that period of time. The amp works fine audio wise but I can't have it draining the battery. I have owned this car for about 5 years and this problem just started. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing the problem. The amp part number is F57F-18T806-AB. Any information that anyone can share would be deeply appreciated. TheMurf

Amp found but it has a problem, Any advice?

I found the amp exaclty where it was installed. And it is, in fact, my dead battery problem. It draws over 1/2 amp even with the key off. this is enough to drain the battery in about three days if the car is not driven in that period of time. The amp works fine audio wise but I can't have it draining the battery.

What was your solution? It's eleven year later...

Mine has been doing the same thing. A local fellow in Twin Peaks, CA diagnosed it and came to the same conclusion. I have gone through 4 batteries in 5 years, and lately since I (and the rest of the world) have not been driving it as often, even my brand new Champion Battery from Pep Boys drained to absolute dead in 2 days.

Removing the fuze and leaving the car alone for three days causes no drain. Nice strong start-up.

He thinks the JLB amp has gone south and is demanding too much. It draws for memory and maybe the interior phone that came with the 97s.

Back