Jeep adds LESS-rugged vehicles?!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jeep adds LESS-rugged vehicles?!?!

'96explorereddiebauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clemmons, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Honda Accord EX-L
I was reading the Automotive News this morning and found this article. Here's it is:

Jeep adds less-rugged models
2004 4x4s will be badged 'Trail Rated'; new-style SUVs won't

By Rick Kranz and Mary Connelly
Automotive News / October 27, 2003

The Chrysler group plans to expand the Jeep line with SUVs that move away from Jeep's historic roots and won't be serious off-road vehicles.

"We have to extend our lineup" and offer Jeeps that will be used "99 percent of the time on-road," COO Wolfgang Bernhard said last week at a press event in Austin, Texas.

The decision comes as the Chrysler group is spending heavily to position Jeep as the "real 4x4" in a world in which the definition of an SUV is expanding.

Jeep has been wrestling with whether to offer smoother-riding, more carlike SUVs. The division now will try to straddle both worlds. It will keep its 4x4 models as "authentic" SUVs and will add a generation of less-rugged vehicles to compete against softer-riding sport wagons.

The Chrysler group needs to re-energize Jeep because the brand has slipped badly in recent years. Jeep held 19.0 percent of the U.S. SUV market in 1999 but only 11.2 percent in 2002.

Jeep sales peaked at 554,466 units in 1999, the year after Daimler-Benz's acquisition of Chrysler Corp. Sales fell to 459,796 last year and are down 6.4 percent so far this year.

But changing the product strategy risks undermining the brand's heritage and turning off buyers. For example, one of four Jeep owners drives off-road compared with one in 10 SUV owners, said Jeff Bell, Jeep marketing vice president, at a press event in Detroit last week.

Bell also said the number of people who go off-road is growing.

The Chrysler group will try to minimize the risk by requiring that all Jeep vehicles be "the most capable" in their segment, the company said.

Bernhard did not say when the new-style Jeep will be in showrooms or how many will be offered.

"We will give the customer what he or she expects from a Jeep, and that means (best in class) off-road capabilities," Bernhard said at the Texas press event. "But not all vehicles are going to have the same degree of off-road capabilities. Does every Jeep have to go down the Rubicon Trail? I don't think so."

The Rubicon Trail is a rugged off-road course in California.

'Trail Rated' badge

Bernhard's comments came in the same week that Jeep spelled out a massive new advertising and marketing campaign that touts Jeep's off-road prowess. The company said that all 2004 Jeep 4x4 vehicles - the Grand Cherokee, Liberty and Wrangler - will wear a trademarked "Trail Rated" badge on exterior sheet metal.

Jeep advertising will tout five areas of off-road vehicle performance tested by an independent third party and designated Trail Rated. The areas of performance are: traction, articulation (climbing), ground clearance, maneuverability and water fording. Bell said that the areas are central to Jeep product development of off-road-capable 4x4s.

In presenting the campaign, Bell said Jeep is casting itself as the "authentic" 4x4. The Trail Rated message will be used in advertising, on the sales floor, on the brand's Web site and in events such as auto shows.

Ads will carry a tag line that says: "If it's not Trail Rated, it's not a Jeep 4x4."

New products coming

The Chrysler group is preparing to expand the Jeep line to at least six vehicles within the next three years. Scheduled to join the Jeep line are:

The Scrambler: A pickup derivative of the Wrangler due next summer.

A premium SUV: A four-door SUV based on the next-generation Grand Cherokee platform.

An entry-level SUV: Likely to be a Liberty derivative; expected in 2005 or 2006.

Bernhard did not say whether the premium SUV and entry-level SUV will be aimed at buyers who use their vehicle for trips to the mall, not off-roading.

"We do recognize what a treasure we have in the Jeep brand, and rather than leaving this nugget unearthed and without use, we will unearth it," Bernhard said. "We will maximize the value of the brand. We will expand the Jeep line and include vehicles that we haven't offered."

In July, the Chrysler group's new marketing boss, Joe Eberhardt, said he was willing to consider extending the Jeep brand, noting that Land Rover had moved successfully from its rugged roots.

"Jeep is the strongest of our brands in terms of what it stands for and the recognition," Eberhardt said. "You can't shift the whole brand. You still need core products, halo products that can go up and down the Rubicon Trail."

Hmm...seems like even Jeep has to make something that's right for the masses...which most will not take their vehicles offroad. I guess they finally got smart to do this move. But will this ruin their reputation as a maker of one of the best offroaders in the world?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm. I understand Jeep wanting to revitalize their sales, especially if their sales have slipped as much as the article says. But yeah I think by shifting their products to street function with off-road PR. They might do serious damage to their name. I mean what happens when some guy/girl who just got their new "trail rated" jeep decides to take it off road and they break a tie rod, or more likely they find them selves high centered, tearing the heck out of their undercarriage on a relatively easy obstical while all their buddies laugh their butts off! This might make the buyer think about another brand next time they get a new vehicle.
It might not do anything to hurt it though....PR is some powerfull mojo, and they can make people beleive pretty much anything. I don't know.....I guess we'll all see.

Later
CP :D

1 in 10 SUVs are wheeled? bah.. yeah right. driving on a dirt road doesn't count.

yeah.. its a smart business move for jeep i think. capture the mainstream while keeping its die hard loyalists.

They already have the liberty right?..that thing is no off road beast compared to the WC, TJ and XJ.

I won't have a Daimler/Chrysler/Jeep product if they were giving them away.

"They already have the liberty right?..that thing is no off road beast compared to the WC, TJ and XJ."-GaSouthern1

Funny thing is they seem to consider the Liberty to be one of their capable off road rigs. The new vehicles are going to be even LESS capable.

Originally posted by '96explorereddiebauer
Scrambler: A pickup derivative of the Wrangler
What's new about that?
The Chrysler group plans to expand the Jeep line with SUVs that move away from Jeep's historic roots and won't be serious off-road vehicles.

A premium SUV: A four-door SUV based on the next-generation Grand Cherokee platform
I didn't know Cherokees were ever serious off-road vehicles.
4x4s will be badged 'Trail Rated'; new-style SUVs won't
"If it's not Trail Rated, it's not a Jeep 4x4."
That's just funny. Sounds like a advertising move. "Lets badge 4x4 "trail rated" and say its not a real Jeep if its not 4x4".

hmmm....

i see it says a new scrambler is due next summer, anyone seen pics of THE NEW ONE yet?

I think the cherokee should be considered as one of the most capable SUVs made, definately the most capable stock for under 30K. It can also be built to be amazingly capable.

Ditto on that.

Jeep sure does make some of the most capable stock rig. Heck...it's a lot better than a stock Explorer, IMO. Once you build that puppy up, it'll be a monster.

Originally posted by burnin_up
pics of THE NEW ONE yet?

P1010133.jpg

This is the AEV version, from which I understand the prototype was developed. Check www.aev-conversions.com go to brute to see more pics. These are modified, but the factory ones will look similar I think. Tires wheels and suspension to match the existing 30" and 31" tire wheels. AEV puts on 4 " lifts and 33's

i likey:D

The crazy thing is, my mom and my g/f both have 99 WJs and they're one of the best on-road SUVs I have ever driven. They have tight steering and a great ride... not to mention plush interiors. And this all on solid-axles. The Liberty... well the Liberty was a move on the "New Found Patriotism" market and I think they should've kept the Cherokee in production.

-Justin

PS - I think the Scrambler picture is god awful.

Also, those freakin WJ's will wheel like crazy from the factory, they are awesome. If you get the quadra-trac you will go more places then any other stock SUV out there (other than the hummer and maybe just maybe the H2).

Yeah!! Their four wheel drive capabilities are just awesome!! I had a '98 5.9Limited and a '99 Limited with Qudra Drive and the '99's Qudra Drive impressed me the most because I could have all three wheels slipping while the fourth wheel could still get me out of a situation such as ice and snow. Also, the ride and handling of the '99 is amazing. It rides firm, but not as rough as my Explorer and handles about the same as the Explorer even with solid front and rear axles and coil springs setup.

Heh..."been there, done that, bought the t-shirt!" :p

If i were building a trail rig, I would buy a Jeep...

I would probably get a 2 door Cherokee for the perfect wheelbase and solid axles.

IFS and the lack of flex sucks on an already top heavy vehicle ~ I don't feel comfortable on real off camber stuff

But if I got a jeep I would need a bigger tow rig, so for now my post graduation plan still lies with the Sammy and lowering my truck back down as the tow rig

So if the real Jeep 4x4's are going to be called "Trail Rated" are the newer cushy Jeeps going to carry the name "Mall Rated"? :D I can see their ads comparing the different lines of Jeeps as Jeep 4x4 trail rated for 12" rocks and luxury Jeeps mall rated for 3" speedbumps. LOL

I also like the wording of The Rubicon as a "rugged off-road course" instead of just trail which it really is.

Jeep is doing the right thing in the long run for them because the larger part of the market doesnt really need real 4x4's. Keeping a line of real 4x4's is keeping true to the Jeep heritage while still being able to survive in the market for luxury SUV's.

Read a 3rd of the article and none of the replies and all I have to say is that does this mean before they are annoucning this they call their IFS Liberty trail ready? gotcha. Oh well, smart move for profit like the new Suburbans called H2s

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I drove a cherokee and a wrangler and gave them serious consideration. I bought an explorer because I liked it better. I do not regret my decision.

I think DC is making a big mistake. They should use the dodge line for the coshy mall raft. Jeep has a reputation, they are going to water it down.

Back