jeep axle swap questions about steering ball joint dosent fit my ford pitman arm? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jeep axle swap questions about steering ball joint dosent fit my ford pitman arm?

wimpytwins

Reaction score
City, State
utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer sport 2dr
i just did a D30 jeep axle swap and i am using the jeep steering links. i am having a problem with the ptman arm ball joint. will a ford ball joint fit into the jeep steering with out any mods or is there a joint that fits my ford pitman arm and will screw into the jeep stering link. thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if there is no other option, I'm sure you could get a shop to make a custom jeep-lower and Ex. upper pitman arm...

jsut curious, how did you do your D30 swap? YJ axle w/leaf springs, or XJ/TJ axle w/coil springs?

More than likely your going to have to get a custom tie rod made, you may be able to get away with a new tie rod end if one end is threaded and can unscrew.

I had started to research this when I had the D30 temped under my truck. I actually ran with the Jeep balljoint for a few thousand miles :eek:
Most of fords lighter duty trucks use the same pitman arm (ranger, f150, econoline van, etc) so you'd have to find one that uses the 22mm thread on the otherside.

i found out that you can buy a tie rod that will both screw into you jeep stering and also fit into the ford pitman arm. i really nice partsman in town look up in his book and found the right part. it cost me 45.00 dollars not bad. If you want help call advanced 4x4 in utah.

you can also pick up a tapered reamer and ream the pitman arm out to fit the standard ford part.
It used to 'normal' practice back in the old days to ream out the arms on VW's when building dune buggies so we could use the stronger ford ball joints.

ken.

Back