Jeep Dana 35 diff cover question

cmhaah06

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CLOVIS, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Does anybody know if a diff cover or diff guard from a jeep Dana 35 will fit on a TTB Dana 35?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Um NO

....Check with Brian1 as I think he has an extra one laying around for a first gen Ford Dana 35 front axle...

I dont have any extras right now but I might soon...

The front is not what needs protecting as the TTB 'shell' is pretty thick, it is the underside and the aluminum diff that need the most.

This is what mine looks like

Attachments

• m_DSC00357.jpg
    m_DSC00357.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,480
  • m_DSC00355.jpg
    m_DSC00355.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 628

The front is not what needs protecting as the TTB 'shell' is pretty thick, it is the underside and the aluminum diff that need the most.

Bash the leading edge of it enough times and they will start to leak fluid a bit.

I don't see why a Jeep D35 guard wouldn't fit maybe with just a little bit of modification (grinding) if needed... The bolt patterns appear to be the same anyway.

Here's mine. Simple & light, doesn't take away clearance, but so far has worked fine.
skid.jpg

7029590047_large.jpg

Was unfinished in 1st pic (since then I filled in the notches and matched it up with the bottom of the beam better)
It also has an angled-up bottom edge on the front about ¾" wide to help it glide up rocks better (hard to see in the pic)

I like the pics! I saw one that was made for the jeep Dana 35 that was similar to Brian1's for sale some time ago. I think Zone offroad sold it, anyhow, I also thought the bolt pattern was extremely similar. I have knocked my axle on some rocks, which caused it to leak and want some extra armor there before I run the Dusy-Ershim this summer.

This was the diff cover I was interested in or something like it.

AA5AFE18-9A9A-405D-850A-4EFD809A9162-7958-000007CA9B7107D3_zps88a190af.jpg

Looks like the bolt pattern is VERY close.

Yeah I don't see why something like that wouldn't bolt up.
Just make sure you have longer bolts (or studs) to accommodate the thickness it adds.

So you're gonna rock the D35 a little longer I take it?

Yes, for now. I have a Dana 44 from a 86 Cherokee that I was going to use for a SAS, however, I have decided to wait and build one axle instead of two. Or, since I'm now building the 35, two axles instead of three. I am going to start collecting parts for a one ton swap. It doesn't make since to build a 44 if what I REALLY want is a 60. The 35 hasn't let me down to this point and has actually performed admirably on all but the toughest trails, so far. I am doing the dusy-ershim trail in August so I will be able to say, it has performed admirably on even the toughest trails.

Wise choice ;)
I like to build a rig the fewest times possible (a rig sitting on 4 wheels is a lot more fun than a rig sitting on 4 jackstands)

I assume your dual-case setup will be in by that time? You'll need it up there for sure.

I would love to have the dual cases, but we'll see. 5.13's for sure though. It all depends on when I get released back to full duty at work. I am not able to work OT for parts money until then. Hopefully by the beginning of June. That would give me enough time to buy, two new manual cases and the DD box for rocks kit. I am also considering using a manual tranny from behind a 2.9 for the lower first gear. I dont know that its going to be worth it but if I can find one for a deal I'd do it, since I have to change the clutch anyways. I am currently rebuilding the front end, minus the diff, right now. Balljoints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, spindle bearings and a fresh coat of paint. The diff will get done in June or July.

Dusy's gonna be tough with a manual trans and no dual case, though I probably wouldn't say impossible with your 5.13s. You'll be bouncing, bobbing & stalling a lot... might have to stop and let your clutch cool down at times.

I'd put in your B4R order as soon as possible just so you have those parts on hand, just in case there's a delay (D.D. has been hit or miss in years past, not sure if that's still the case or not).

Back