Jeep gas cap mod on Explorer

Trckmagik

Ole Bag
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Celina, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
Here is the Mod I just completed on my explorer. I have been looking to get rid of the door for some time and being that this is a crawler I couldnt go the bling route :)
Here are some pics of the mod completed on DeJello's 1991 Explorer.
9AA28_PCDV0001.JPG

DD4B7_PCDV0002.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn that actually looks pretty damn good ;)

Why did you want to get rid of the door??

Just do do it.... I actually laid mine over into a rock and dented the door enough to where it didnt shut right, so off it came.

Trckmagik said:
Just do do it.... I actually laid mine over into a rock and dented the door enough to where it didnt shut right, so off it came.

Ahhhh, that makes sense!

Looks good!

Is there a writeup somehwhere and how to do it?? and also... what's the cost to do something like this?

looks awesome!

The cost for me was 19.95 for the Jeep part and a couple dollars for the nuts and bolts.
You DO have to cut your explorer a little after removing the stock door to do this install.

Looks great. You should do a write-up on this. :thumbsup:

I like it alot! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the Congrats. I go out and spend hours looking at my rig to see what other car parts I can use.

How long did it take to do?

10-15 minutes tops if you have the right tools. REMEMBER grinding is a must on this mod...

Woah that's really quick.

That is slick and came out nice... :thumbsup:

Thanks again.....

Yeah, I woke up and Brian was putting this on my explorer... I figured sure, why not.. :) Actually I loved the way it looked and had to have it for myself. Like Brian said, not long to do. Just grind a bit from the stock metal, a little tweaking here and there with the gas/vent tubes, some drilling for the new mounting bolts and you're good to go. The only issue with mine was a "lip" or something where we were drilling the new holes.. I went to the auto store and bought some bolts, washers, and nuts that were 25mm long to reach past the "lip". I went ahead and got a locking gas cap since I've been paranoid even before this mod. I think it looks freaking sweet and thanks again Brian! :)

looks nice if your going for the "rugged look" defiently not a street mod IMO

TJM623 said:
looks nice if your going for the "rugged look" defiently not a street mod IMO

Very true........ Rugged is where its at :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice. What year\model jeep did you get that from?

Back