• Register Today It's free!

jeep xj front axle?

92Dora

Reaction score
City, State
Stuart, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
a while ago i asked if cj axles would fit on a first gen explorer...well that never happened got rid of the jeep....now my friend rolled his xj 4x4...would the front axle...its a dana...not sure if he said it was a dana 44 or 30 but it comes stock on his jeep i was wondering if itd fit on my explorer like width wise and all that....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its 2" wider i believe, and it is a D30.

thanks...what all would i have to change to make it work with my explorer

The Dana 30 would physically fit under your Explorer with no real problems.

To make the swap you would have to eliminate all the hardware for the Dana 35, make new links of some sort to hold up the new axle (check out Rubicon Express links, for example), and likely have to re-make the spring and shock mounts, change the driveshaft and the brake lines, and front springs and shocks.

It is not the most complicated swap, and has been done any number of times. If I were going to the effort of swapping to a straight front axle, however, I'd move up to the Dana 44 instead of the 30 -- you'd be going backward, as far as strength is concerned, from your Dana 35.

Max tire on the Dana 30 is about a 33, and that is pushing it. Expect breakage on the heavier Explorer with that axle.

go with a 44 if you can...the D44 out of the Jeep Wagonner is the same with.

well my funds are pretty limited and this is a free axle...so i guess for now its what ill have to settle for...i may go check the junkyard for a dana 44....thanks for the help

Check the axle shaft diameter and the U-joint series between the D30 and the D44. I know the D35 (not the D30) have the same axle shaft diameter as the D44 so strength wise, they are pretty much the same since its always the axle shaft and the U-joints that go.

Of course you're more likely to destroy the other parts (carrier, ring gear, pinion gear) because these components are smaller on the D30 but again, typically its the axle shaft and the U-joints that pop before these components.

well if i can find one and afford it its gonna get beat like a red headed step child so im gonna need somethign tough....id really love to rone 2 1/2 tone top load axles....but im making my beast from horse trading for parts

Seriously, I'd stick with the Dana 35. It is a better setup for you than the Dana 30. I wheel with XJ guys all the time. I see them break when I don't with the Dana 35.

Make a couple of mods to your front end to get some travel and wheel the snot out of it. I promise with the right mods, you'll be anywhere with your stock setup than you could be with the Dana 30.

15014Front_flex.jpg

15014Rock_Hill.jpg

thanks for the advice...but i live in south florida so travels not that big of a deal down here...theres nothing for it to travel over...theres just deep mud and small hondas everywhere...by the way i like your explorer thtas a prety badass truck

one more thing...should i run leaf springs in the front or go with coils?

I'm in agreement with the others.. If going solid I'd go for the D44, otherwise I keep the D35... You mention $$ is tight, but you'll end up spending more $$ down the road with busted parts with the D30.. Save up for the D44 and do it right and you'll be better off..

alright thanks for the advice...any suggestion on suspention...should i run leafs or coils???

Back