Jefe broke a what?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jefe broke a what??

After spending all night (well, ok, I knew what was wrong 30 mins into it) tearing apart my front end I have figured out why I have only had 3WD since the AZ run:

:eek:

SANY0002.jpg

SANY0004.jpg

Broken vs. Normal

SANY0005.jpg

I really didn't think it'd be possible to break an axle. . . always figured a CV would go first.

This half axle had been installed, brand new, 4 days before the AZ run, and was either already broken before I got to the first obstacle the first day, or broke without a sound. I never felt it bust, and with how clean it sheared off I'm thinking it is a manufacture defect.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Think Positive Jefe!! With all the SLA SASs going on.........there are a bunch of halfshafts out there.:D

That is crazy that you broke a shaft without even knowing it!!!! I agree, it would have made a lot more since for the CV to go first!!

That is just weird!! I hope the fragments didn't screw up anything!!

Robb

Originally posted by morrisey0
Think Positive Jefe!! With all the SLA SASs going on.........there are a bunch of halfshafts out there.:D
Who needs a half shaft? I'm picking up a whole new solid front axle tomm :D

Been planning a SAS for a few months now. . .I just ripped out the whole front drivetrain and am now a 2wd Ex until it goes under the knife in another month.

Man, look how twisted those splines are! It's hard to see in your photos, can you tell how deep the heat treating is in the axle? Is it heat treated at all??? You should be able to see a distinct layer of hardened steel and then a "soft center".

Here's some cropped pics at full rez Rick

Sany0003.jpg

I don't think it was heat treated at all. I also pulled apart another one of my "spare" GCK axles which had ~10k miles on it. It was incredible how worn/destroyed the CV's were. I'm gonna do a write-up on these GCK half axles vs Fords.

It doesn't look heat treated to me either... I wonder if Ford missed heat treating that axle or if they just skip it completely since they figure it won't be subjected to much of a torque load in a open diff situation.

I bought a brand new D-35 housing from Ford for $300 and none of the bolt holes were tapped... It missed that step in production:rolleyes:

This is not a Ford half axle. Its a GCK. I've been using them since they're half the cost ($150) of the Ford part. But I have been very unhappy with them.

The passenger side GCK half axle that I pulled out tonight was also toast with only 3500 miles on it. :rolleyes: After I pulled it I couldn't get the outer CV to budge without putting it in a vise :eek:
*sarcastic* And I was wondering why I had all kinds of clicking noises coming from that side */sarcastic*

Originally posted by Rick
Man, look how twisted those splines are!
My thoughts exactly. When that first picture popped up, I was like DAMN!

Locked with 35's right? We know what goes over the limits of our front ends. :D

You're always breaking new ground, Jeff! ;)

Cool deal on the SAS. Any idea on when it'll be done?

yeah, that looks like a defect, it almost looks like it was machined flat, there was probably a nick in the shaft, creating a stress point, and snap! I could't tell you is that looks heat treated from the pictures. Grap a file, and use the corner of it. File one of the splines, if you can cut it, it's not treated, if you can't file it, it probably was, but not enough.

Only $300 for the housing Rick? Ford wants $457 and thats my price, cost + 10%. Retail is over $600. I would buy a Ford housing if I could get it for that price. All I know is I am trying to get one ASAP so I can get back on the road and wheel again. I just hope I have my truck back in time for my new job.

I am glad I am back to ruining, er running Ford CVs. I wonder if part of my problem was using those GCK axles. Hopefully once I get the gusseted and welded diff with some limiting straps, I will be good to go.

Jeff, where did the rest of the splines go? Did they snap off clean and stay in place?

--Sean

Damn Jefe, Sorry to hear that. I guess you won't be in moab in two weeks? Well at least your getting rid of that IFS thats good. Good luck with the SAS and can't wait to see how it turns out.

Originally posted by Jefe
This is not a Ford half axle. Its a GCK. I've been using them since they're half the cost ($150) of the Ford part.

Apparently you get what you pay for when you buy half axles..........

There is no way that was heat treated. It is obvious from the severe angle of the splines that it twisted a lot before snapping. Any hardness at all would have been way to brittle to distort that far before snapping. In fact it is so distorted it may not have snapped - instead, twisting apart without making enough sound for you to hear.

Originally posted by RangerX
You're always breaking new ground, Jeff! ;)

Pun intended, har har......

What if an axle broke and no one was there... would it make a sound??:confused:

Originally posted by DesertSpive
. . .Jeff, where did the rest of the splines go? Did they snap off clean and stay in place?

--Sean
The circlip is holding the remaining portion snugly in the locker. . . havn't pulled apart the diff yet to retrieve it.

Originally posted by hvac man
Damn Jefe, Sorry to hear that. I guess you won't be in moab in two weeks?
I'll still be there. . .just be 2WD. Hopefully I won't continue this trend though. Don't know how fun it would be to drive around a 1WD truck :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Rick
What if an axle broke and no one was there... would it make a sound??:confused:
Ugh :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Jefe

Ugh :rolleyes:

Yes, my thoughts exactly.... on more than one occasion. :eek:

On a positive note, I am getting really good at knowing how the SLA operates and it's weaknesses. And because of me, anyone who gets the RCD kit is getting a much better suspension system.

--Sean

Got half shafts??
Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

half axle's my a$$..lol

Back