Jefe's Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jefe's Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier

I've been planning this for a long time now, but wanted to wait till my Body lift was out so I didn't have to fab up brackets twice.

I like the look of the stock rear bumper, so I wanted to keep it, so I figured out how I could keep it while reinforcing it to put a tire carrier on it.

Here's the AutoCAD design:

TOP:

top.jpg

BACK:

front.jpg

SIDE:

side.jpg

ISOMETRIC:

iso.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOW. Very Impressive. Looks Good.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Real nice, I like that double swinging idea!

More ideas for me when I get around to changing my tire carrier. ;)

changing your tire carrier? :eek: Im very interested in whats going to be done..

so how much you want for one? Im in the market and thats the best ive seen so far. Please tell me youll be a nice guy and build me one :D

Originally posted by JoshC
That looks great Jefe. How does it actually latch together in the middle?
A 3/4" bolt runs through the 2x3 in the bumper out of the shell and the two sides and a nut holds it all snug.

Originally posted by sapogmxr
so how much you want for one? Im in the market and thats the best ive seen so far. Please tell me youll be a nice guy and build me one :D
I'd love to build a few to sell. . .however I've already pissed off the neighbors too many times between doing the SAS and this. If it became a business of sorts, I'm pretty sure they'd have something to say.
I'll gladly give out the CAD file to anyone interested though.

Dont know what a CAD file is, But if it shows you how to build one im definetly interested..

Jefe, looking good!!!

I came across a guy who built a tire carrier using a Rockstomper hinge and it failed, completely broke off!!!

Here is the site: http://www.fastq.com/~sschaefer/rearbumper.html

A couple of pics
rear_032.jpg

rear_033.jpg
Cracked bearing races
rear_034.jpg
Broken spindle

I like how that guy added "No i will not make you one"..

Jefe

Dosn't that make it a pain to open the back or just the glass cause you have bust out a wrench just to open the carrier?:(

Re: Jefe

Originally posted by Stic-o
Dosn't that make it a pain to open the back or just the glass cause you have bust out a wrench just to open the carrier?:(
Well, I have yet to have to open it to find out :p
I put an open-end under my seat for when I need to open it. I just figure that this was the easiest to fab, and I know its not going anywhere. I figure its worth the 3x more empty cargo space I have now. If it becomes too much of a pain, I'll just have to fab up a better way :)

Hell with mine I have to pull out one hitch pin on the drivers side and one llocking hitch pin on the passenger side, so no wise-azz kids pull the pins without me knowing- I'd welcome pulling one nut off.

You could always weld ears on to the nut to remove it...

Originally posted by cdsl227
You could always weld ears on to the nut to remove it...
I could only put a 3" 'wing' on it because of how close other things are to it, which is not enough to get it snug in my opinion. I could always go with Ricks way, with a "cheater bar" on the wing of the nug, but I figure an open-end is just as easy.

what if?

You put a loop on the bumper and a loop on the outer side (tire or gas) and a pin that droped down the middle.

Did that make any sence?:rolleyes:

Here it is completed:

'Latch'
11-23_3.jpg

Open:
11-23_7.jpg

Closed:
11-23_8.jpg

11-23_9.jpg

I ditched the dual gas tank holder since it was going to stick out way too far.

So when did you say sales would start?:D . Seriously that looks very sharp. It is strange to see the stock bumper with a dual swing out. I actually like the look alot. Keep up the awsome work.

nice!!

CAD

Jefe..
Looks great, impressive drawings too!!! I would appreciate CAD file(s) of you bumper/tire carrier. If you wouldn't mind, my address to send them to .... jim@equusmetals.com oh-I have ACAD 2000. I'm in the process of self-teaching myself Mechanical Desktop :eek: after a full day of spiral staircases-the mind doesn't get real thilled about learning something new....:rolleyes:

Thanks...Jim

Back