Jefe's SAS | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jefe's SAS

Everyone else has a SAS thread in here, so I figured that instead of being jealous, I'd just start my own :)

I've been planning this for a few months now, and the parts are now starting to collect.

The plan is to buy a TJ D30 front axle to use for sizing and testing purposes, and replace it with a custom HP D44 with a bunch of goodies as the project nears completion.

I will be using Rubicon Express TJ long arms. These are 36" long, and convert the TJ 4 link to a radius arm design. 36" back from the front axle lands the rear mounts right where the torsion bar currently mounts, and the TJ and Ex frame are the same width at that location, so it should make for a great bracket location.

I plan to run 2" remote res. coilovers. I won't decide how much travel they need until I've got the axle temp'd under and see amount of flex, ride height, etc. No point in shoving a 14" travel C/O WAY up into the engine bay if its not going to do me any more good than a 10" or a 12".

I will convert the steering pump and gearbox over to a 1st gen explorer setup. I am hoping that the TJ track bar and steering will work, but will have that custom made if it doesn't.

I'm hoping for about 6" of lift, but may have to settle for more depending on a few things. I'll do a SOA conversion in the rear, along with custom leaves to match front ride height. I will be taking out the 3" BL as one of the first steps.

I plan to start actual work on the project about halfway into April.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good Jefe, serious flex.

I have a quesion, i'm wondering how long your brake lines are. I am in the precess of getting new lines made for my D30 and i want some your length. I will probably never have that much droop, and if i did, my axle probably fell out. I jsut need a measurement in Inches please...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I believe he used the complete kit from Rubicon Express (VERY nice stainless/kevlar/rubber/teflon brake lines, brackets, adapters, etc).

It should be the RE1550 set, which is listed as 22" long. When I first put them on my rig, I thought they were too long, but after flexing today, they are just right!

(dead links)

Thank you brother!

One more question Jefe...Did that 1G steering pump bolt right in to the 2G bracket?

And where did you order that Reman pump and box?

Originally posted by Yomie
One more question Jefe...Did that 1G steering pump bolt right in to the 2G bracket?

And where did you order that Reman pump and box?
Probably won't beleive this, but the 1st and 2nd gen PS pumps are the same dang ford model number. Only thing different is the ball/spring output valve setup on the side. That should answer your questing :p Mine needed to be replaced anyway, so the half day job replacing it wasn't too bad (its a pain getting that pulley off and on), but if yours is still somewhat quiet, i'd say just leave it alone, and maybe just replace the valve. Like I said though, the main reason I did this was because my old one was dying.

I originally bought a used pump and box from a junk yard i found by using (dead links )and then I used that pump as a core for an autozone reman. but you could use your current one as the core

Cool, is it possible to jsut replace the ball/spring output valve setup by its self.

My pump is still fairly quiet, but after my last wheeling trip it is as if i have no power steering at all anymore. Oh well, that rack is coming out shortly anyways

Thanks!

Really Cool!

What shock valving did you use? What spring rate lbs/in are your coils?

Think you need front sway bar or no? Hows it brake?

The rear looks stiffer than the front now.

Originally posted by Yomie
Cool, is it possible to jsut replace the ball/spring output valve setup by its self.
Thanks!
Yes, it is.

Originally posted by soupbone
Really Cool!

What shock valving did you use? What spring rate lbs/in are your coils?

Think you need front sway bar or no? Hows it brake?

The rear looks stiffer than the front now.
The shocks haven't been revavled. It is a little soft, but not bad. Currently the coils are 250/350, but that is sitting higher than I want. I just got some 300 coils, so we'll see where that sits.

I'd love to get a sway bar up front. Maybe even an anti-rock sway bar. Right now it dives like crazy into a turn. I've even thought of just rigging up my stock front bar, but I know that'll be way too stiff for a solid axle.

It brakes great, better than stock amazingly, considering the TJ has smaller pads and single piston calipers. Probably wearing through the pads like crazy though :D That'll be fixed once the D44 goes under it.

The front is softer. I'm hoping to fix that with a custom spring pack (Deaver probably) since the stock pack is way past dead. After I get the front all correct and paid for, I'll work on fixin the rear up.

My new rims:
10-28_3.jpg

And my axle. . .finally. 5 1/2 weeks when they promised 2 or 3. :rolleyes:
10-28_1.jpg

10-28_2.jpg

Originally posted by Heath
Oh, is that the new D44??? Its Pritty...
and WAY too clean!
(at least sitting next to my rig, just back from Moab!):p

Awesome Jefe!! Now it's time to put it to the test.

Back